It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Old 04-09-16, 06:23 PM   #41
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Another England manager without the balls to make the obvious sub and take off Rooney. Kane next in line.

Last edited by Kenneth; 04-09-16 at 06:27 PM.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 04-09-16, 06:35 PM   #42
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Lallana has been the best player on the pitch by some distance.
Old 04-09-16, 06:35 PM   #43
Gibbo
Like a boss

Lallana has been Englands best player by far.
Old 04-09-16, 06:44 PM   #44
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

He was in the Euros too. Then mystifyingly dropped by Hodgson.

Skrtel is an idiot. Thankfully not our problem anymore.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-16, 06:54 PM   #45
Gibbo
Like a boss

Adam gets his goal, deserves it, happy for him.
Old 04-09-16, 06:55 PM   #46
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Lallana with late winner.
Old 04-09-16, 06:55 PM   #47
ChesterDave
Paisley

Now Ian Wright will be crowing his tits off "like I said aim at the goalkeeper its better"
Old 04-09-16, 06:56 PM   #48
shanks69
Dalglish

England's best player on the day.
Old 04-09-16, 07:01 PM   #49
Leyton388
aka liverpooltj

Everton fans on my facebook in full fume mode. Firstly they were kicking off that "Our Ross" isn't in the team then went into meltdown when Lallana got the winner.
Leyton388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-16, 07:11 PM   #50
Leyton388
aka liverpooltj

Celebrations in the England hotel tonight.

Leyton388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-16, 07:11 PM   #51
cream
Paisley

Well done Lallana, really good for him, was the best player on the pitch by some distance.

Alli came on and showed how to play the number 10 position, but still Rooney getting all the praises.
Old 04-09-16, 07:15 PM   #52
BigChief
Paisley

Sturridge can make some clever runs off the shoulder when he wants to. Shame he doesn't want to as much nowadays. The one move where the the whole Slovakian team was wondering where the feck he was before he popped up out of nowhere with a peekaboo was a hark back to the good old days.
Old 04-09-16, 07:34 PM   #53
labourRed
Shankly

Big Sam doesn't seem to know where Rooney played. Quite incredible the power he seems to have in that team given his form is half the reason England are awful.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-16, 07:36 PM   #54
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

I thought Sam set England up perfectly well and the lack of bite was mainly due to individual performances from the likes of Rooney, rose and waller as fullbacks and Kane who is playing like shite. Disappointed with the team selection but with a new manager coming straight into a competitive game I guess it was a conservative selection.
Old 04-09-16, 08:01 PM   #55
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

He's basically picking the same team and using the same tactics as Roy was. Ultimately he'll probably end up with the same results. I don't see Harry Kane as a starting pick for England.
Old 05-09-16, 01:00 AM   #56
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post
Big Sam doesn't seem to know where Rooney played. Quite incredible the power he seems to have in that team given his form is half the reason England are awful.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37271746

I can't comprehend this. Basically in his first game in charge he admits he has little authority.

I mean I couldn't care less but how many frauds are they going to go through.
Old 05-09-16, 05:55 AM   #57
Muddled
Meat Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post
Yeah, that interview highlighted just how out of his depth Fat Sam is.

Rooney comes out and follows his media training by saying he played where his boss wanted to play; Fat Sam comes out and says he can't control where Rooney goes and he plays wherever he wants to. Fat Sam then gets himself in a fizz and starts passive aggressively trying to go at the interviewer before remembering he needs the media onside too.

It's exactly what Buzzo said: he's picked the same team and tactics as Roy so don't be surprised when he achieves the same dire standard of football too.
Muddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-16, 09:15 AM   #58
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

Them quotes!! Cowardly was the one thing I didn't think he'd be. What a shithouse.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-16, 09:27 AM   #59
labourRed
Shankly

Even two-bit journos are jumping on that. And so they should. I know he's only through the door and perhaps deserves some slack, but fuck it he's shit and it'll be a similar car crash to the last lot.

Pans to the bench and there's Fat Sam and wee Sammy. The best England can muster.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37271746

Annoyingly they'll walk the qualies (they can do that with Roy FFS) but they'll get their asses handed to them when they get decent opposition (or Iceland).

Quote:
He insisted it was "not for me to say where Wayne Rooney will play" and added: "Wayne played wherever he wanted to. I can't stop Wayne playing there.

"I think that he holds a lot more experience at international football than me as an international manager. Using his experience with a team, playing as a team member, it's not for me to say where he is going to play."

Except it is.

Rooney may be able to decide where he plays in an exhibition match but the idea he can simply do what he wants is not sustainable against opposition of the highest international quality.
Old 05-09-16, 09:29 AM   #60
Alex
Administrator

Player power is embarrassing, and Rooney doing things like this is harming England and the younger players development.

He isnt even that good anymore.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 05-09-16, 10:32 AM   #61
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

Still cant believe that interview, fucking hell.

Whats worse is he's actually just missed the best time to fuck him off, after yet another hopeless tournament, most Utd fans cant stand him as he's so shit now etc, he's got little support anywhere so was perfect timing to fuck him off but no, continue as captain and even more remarkably can "play where he wants".

Just wow! As if the team isn't handicapped enough v the better sides as Spain, Germany etc have better players they are seemingly willing to basically play with 10 men as they let a fat lad use the pitch for an afternoon walk!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-16, 11:05 AM   #62
labourRed
Shankly

I watched the game as well, and the commentators were baffled as Big Sam had them all believing that Rooney would play more advanced, as that's what he said. Paraphrasing but he'll play exactly where he does for Man United.

They must have mentioned it half a dozen times. Rooney has massively undermined the manager - some captain that. Not that he'll care he's now got the prestige of being England manager swanning around clubs up and down the country playing the big manager and the pay packet to go with it.
Old 05-09-16, 11:56 AM   #63
BigChief
Paisley

Beckham did it with England for longer, Gerrard did it with us but not for too long. Brand is more important than tactics.
Old 05-09-16, 12:46 PM   #64
Exiled_red
Paisley

Stupid thing for him to say as manager, if he can't tell players where to play what's the point in him being there? Also if the player isn't playing in the position that the manager wants him to why does the manager not just sub the player off and put someone there who will play the required position?

Is he too scared to drop Rooney because this is Rooney's 2 year retirement tour?
Old 05-09-16, 02:58 PM   #65
BillobShaisley
Dalglish

Unless it's more of a Rooney in the hole and go find some space to stand in. You're an experienced pro who's won it all, you should by now have the nouse to run the game on the pitch and you now have the free role to try and hurt the opposition? Messi, Ronaldo etc do that and adapt to where they can make a difference. Rooney is clearly not in that bracket, but that could be Fat Sam's idea?

That was his instruction which in practice meant him dropping deeper as they played with 2 banks close to each other on the box?
Old 05-09-16, 03:04 PM   #66
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
"Wayne played wherever he wanted to," said Allardyce. "He did play a little deeper than I thought he'd play, but I was pleased with his performance."
"I think that he holds a lot more experience at international football than me as an international manager. Using his experience with a team, playing as a team member, it's not for me to say where he is going to play."
That is a staggering quote for any manager let alone an International one it will haunt him for sure. Even if it were true, which it never should be, why would you admit that to the press after your first hard fought win?

Fat Sam is going to haul England down another level.

Last edited by Buzzo; 05-09-16 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-09-16, 03:07 PM   #67
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

It really is unbelievable, and worse than anything Hodgson said as England boss.
Old 05-09-16, 03:10 PM   #68
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

To come out with a more ridiculous quote than Hodgson ever managed after one game is fucking impressive.

Was he dared to say it ??? it just makes no sense if he is trying to stamp his authority on the squad. He'll just have loads of them doing what the fuck they want, because anyone with more than one cap has more international experience than big fat Sam.

At least he is already confirming what a deluded buffoon the rest of us have always known him to be.

Last edited by Buzzo; 05-09-16 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-09-16, 03:17 PM   #69
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

We can't find a manager to lead us to glory so we'll get the players to sort it out instead.
Old 05-09-16, 04:02 PM   #70
tanner
Dalglish

Every tw*t in the bloody England side has more International experience than Fat Sam, is he going to let them all play where they want?

I can see Sterling now sat on the oppositions goal line eating a packet of crisps waiting for the ball to land at his feet.
Old 05-09-16, 06:42 PM   #71
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
It really is unbelievable, and worse than anything Hodgson said as England boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
To come out with a more ridiculous quote than Hodgson ever managed after one game is fucking impressive.

Was he dared to say it ??? it just makes no sense if he is trying to stamp his authority on the squad. He'll just have loads of them doing what the fuck they want, because anyone with more than one cap has more international experience than big fat Sam.

At least he is already confirming what a deluded buffoon the rest of us have always known him to be.

Total madness how did him think it was a good thing to say.
Old 05-09-16, 07:59 PM   #72
Phoenix07
The Normal One

You can get away with it if it was a player like Ronaldo or Messi, but this is a declining Wayne Rooney. He's not someone you should build a team around, or let him do whatever he wants. He doesn't have the same ability as before to do that role.
Phoenix07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-16, 09:24 PM   #73
Vermilion
Shooterista

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner View Post
Every tw*t in the bloody England side has more International experience than Fat Sam, is he going to let them all play where they want?

I can see Sterling now sat on the oppositions goal line eating a packet of crisps waiting for the ball to land at his feet.
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-16, 09:12 AM   #74
Alex
Administrator

The only thing I could think Allardyce is doing is saying that about Rooney publically in an attempt to make the player look at himself and stop being so selfish.

Really makes him look weak though.
Old 06-09-16, 09:24 AM   #75
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
The only thing I could think Allardyce is doing is saying that about Rooney publically in an attempt to make the player look at himself and stop being so selfish.

Really makes him look weak though.

You are really giving to much credit to these bunch of chancers.
Old 06-09-16, 12:18 PM   #76
Yozza
Shankly

Wayne Rooney: Peter Shilton says England skipper should have quit after Euro 2016

Wayne Rooney should have retired from international football after Euro 2016, says ex-England captain Peter Shilton.

Rooney, 30, made his 116th appearance for England in Sunday's World Cup qualifying victory over Slovakia.

But his value to the team has become a hot topic after he spent most of the game playing in a deep midfield role.

"I don't think he's a striker anymore," said Shilton, who won 125 caps. "We are trying to fit him in, but he's not a midfield player for me. Never will be."

Speaking to BBC Scotland, Shilton, 66, added: "He is spraying a few balls around, but I don't think he's being very effective.

"I thought he should have retired after the Euros. It's not because he could break my record. Far from it. If he does and he plays well, fine."

Rooney did not touch the ball once in the Slovakia penalty area but England's captain and record goalscorer says the debate over his role in the team has been an "overreaction" following the 1-0 win in Trnava.

"I played in that role and helped us win the game," Rooney, who has scored 53 goals for his country, told Sky Sports: "Too much is getting made about it."

In his post-match interview, new England boss Sam Allardyce said it was "not for me to say" where Rooney should play and said the Manchester United forward could play "wherever he wanted".

But former Norwich, Blackburn and Celtic striker Chris Sutton, who won one cap for England, said such an approach was damaging.

"With Rooney in a deep-lying midfield role for most of the match, Harry Kane was isolated up front and it killed his game," Sutton told the Daily Mail.

"Rooney can't pick and choose where he plays, it's not a testimonial.

"He is a lovely passer and technician but if he's not playing to Kane's strengths then the whole team suffer."

Rooney says he will retire after the 2018 World Cup finals in Russia, by which stage he is likely to have overtaken Shilton as England's most-capped player.

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-16, 01:00 PM   #77
Yozza
Shankly

Blimey - one game into Sams reign.....

England World Cup 2022 win target scrapped by FA

England's target of winning the 2022 World Cup in Qatar has been scrapped by new Football Association chairman Greg Clarke.

The goal was set by predecessor Greg Dyke in 2013.

"I'm not going to put pressure on and say we are going to win this tournament or that tournament," said Clarke, who came into the role in August.

Clarke has also criticised the use of a clock at St George's Park to count down to the 2022 final, calling it "daft".

England were knocked out of this summer's European Championship at the last-16 stage by minnows Iceland.

Roy Hodgson resigned as manager immediately after the shock defeat in July and has been replaced by Sam Allardyce, who oversaw a 1-0 win in the opening World Cup 2018 qualifier in Slovakia on Sunday.

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-16, 02:57 PM   #78
fah-q
Touching cloth

Shouldn't you be setting that target before every tournament?

Even if you don't think it's possible, you have to go for it anyway.
fah-q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-16, 04:15 PM   #79
The_weatherman
Smug

Quote:
Originally Posted by fah-q View Post
Shouldn't you be setting that target before every tournament?

Even if you don't think it's possible, you have to go for it anyway.
Icelandic FA set the national team the target to qualify for every finals, we shouldn't be able to do it, but that's the aim.
Old 10-09-16, 11:03 AM   #80
Exiled_red
Paisley

I think that England really need to take a radical look at the reasons why they don't succeed at tournaments, if they genuinely believe that the players they have had were good enough to win tournaments and that they continually fall short surely someone should be investigating why and coming up with a plan to get the side to where they want to be, as it would seem that there is either an attitude problem or some kind of mental block with the players and the setup as when it comes to tournament football their record is terrible 6 wins in all knockout rounds since 1966.

IMO the current England side has no chance of winning anything and I suspect that is the real reason they have backtracked on this target

Last edited by Exiled_red; 10-09-16 at 11:06 AM.
Exiled_red is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > General Football