It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 21-08-20, 11:12 PM   #5441
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
Ah bugger, I've always liked Thiago Silva
Sure, but now he's a 35 year old centre back in the fastest major League in Europe. I can see his value for them as an experienced pro off the pitch, but I can't see him being particularly useful on it.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-20, 01:05 AM   #5442
Sus
Benitez

Yep I dont get this one from a playing perspective. Hes about to turn 36, and has played the last few years in one of the slowest leagues in the world
Sus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-20, 02:47 AM   #5443
Harv
Randy Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
Ah bugger, I've always liked Thiago Silva
Hes 35. He'll get rings run round him in this league. Cant wait until he has to try contain Mane, Salah and Bobby

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-20, 08:39 AM   #5444
frank the tank
Shankly

I hope lampard buys loads of defenders. I don't think he is tactically good enough and with loads of signings he will struggle to find a formula. I reckon that he will be gone by the end of next year. Maybe Poch will be the next Chelsea manager after that.....

I wonder will there be any players marginalised that will leave chelsea??? I wouldn't mind Tomori
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-20, 09:09 AM   #5445
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
I hope lampard buys loads of defenders. I don't think he is tactically good enough and with loads of signings he will struggle to find a formula. I reckon that he will be gone by the end of next year. Maybe Poch will be the next Chelsea manager after that.....

I wonder will there be any players marginalised that will leave chelsea??? I wouldn't mind Tomori
I think Roman is very keen on Naglesmann
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 12:54 PM   #5446
Irishnev
Shankly

Old 24-08-20, 01:03 PM   #5447
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Hes 35. He'll get rings run round him in this league. Cant wait until he has to try contain Mane, Salah and Bobby
...that's even older than Father Time himself, Mr 'fit as a butcher's dog' Milner!
Tribute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 01:08 PM   #5448
red g
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Some sttacking line up Chelsea will have next year. Has to be pressure on Frank for a proper title fight.

Weak willed, Wank or do they have a masterplan?

Think we have the answer..Klopp
red g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 01:13 PM   #5449
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by red g View Post
Some sttacking line up Chelsea will have next year. Has to be pressure on Frank for a proper title fight.
...imagine winning the Premier League, earning £175m in prize money and then realising you'd just spent close to £300m on players to win it...
Tribute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 01:34 PM   #5450
Sus
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by red g View Post
Has to be right? This is an unreal level of backing, especially for an uproven manager

Will be fascinating to see how he goes...
Sus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 01:55 PM   #5451
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Massively bloated squad now.

Will be interesting to see how Frank keeps them all happy. Particularly the young lads that broke through and will now struggle for game time.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 01:58 PM   #5452
Irishnev
Shankly

Old 24-08-20, 02:04 PM   #5453
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

The new David Luiz
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 02:06 PM   #5454
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
He got skinned for pace by Lewandowski last night once or twice.
Old 24-08-20, 02:12 PM   #5455
red g
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Massively bloated squad now.

Will be interesting to see how Frank keeps them all happy. Particularly the young lads that broke through and will now struggle for game time.
He got a lot of credit and rightly so for bringing through so many of the young lads, It would appear that this was an anomoly due to their transfer ban and they have gone back to their previous strategy. COuld be some good youngsters to pick off next year when they become disillusioned.

Weak willed, Wank or do they have a masterplan?

Think we have the answer..Klopp
red g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 02:37 PM   #5456
spud_gun
Paisley

Quote:
Two years?

Wasn't he about 35 when he joined PSG from Milan
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 03:14 PM   #5457
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

He turns 36 in three weeks or so so they’ve got him until he turns 38.

Chelsea will just sign anyone.
Old 24-08-20, 03:32 PM   #5458
frank the tank
Shankly

Havertz, Chilwell, Silva, Werner, Ziyech - 5 good additions to them. Still have a dodgy goalie though!!!

Will be interesting to see how they perform and settle. Although they are 5 good players, only one has PL experience so it will possibly take time. A front 4 of Werner, Ziyech, Havertz and Pullisic will be pretty good though.
Old 24-08-20, 04:08 PM   #5459
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
He turns 36 in three weeks or so so they’ve got him until he turns 38.

Chelsea will just sign anyone.
I was advocating the signing just pointing it out. He was class in his day but it’s an odd signing given the pace of the premier league. I suspect he’ll play central in the back 3 where he won’t get dragged wife and exposed as much.

Tomori and Christiansen will learn from him but if Kepa is behind you it doesn’t matter
Old 24-08-20, 04:10 PM   #5460
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
I was advocating the signing just pointing it out. He was class in his day but it’s an odd signing given the pace of the premier league. I suspect he’ll play central in the back 3 where he won’t get dragged wife and exposed as much.

Tomori and Christiansen will learn from him but if Kepa is behind you it doesn’t matter

I was taking your post as a news update rather than your advocating the signing
Old 24-08-20, 04:19 PM   #5461
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:

Good post

It will be interesting to see what formation they start to play. Lampard has changed a bit last season but for me, the best teams always tend to stick to the same formation and manage games accordingly.

You think a 3-4-3 formation? So Chilwell and possibly Azpilicueta as wing backs? Not sure they will be strong enough in the middle of the park then
Old 24-08-20, 07:16 PM   #5462
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
Good post

It will be interesting to see what formation they start to play. Lampard has changed a bit last season but for me, the best teams always tend to stick to the same formation and manage games accordingly.

You think a 3-4-3 formation? So Chilwell and possibly Azpilicueta as wing backs? Not sure they will be strong enough in the middle of the park then
They were openly playing 3-4-3 for large parts of the season

Aspi - RCB, Silva - CB, Rudiger - LCB
James - RWB, Chilwell - LWB
Kovacic, Havertz and Kante as the middle 3
Werner + 1 up top

Pulisic, Ziyech, Giroud, Mount, CHO, Abraham, Jorginho, Barkley, Christiansen + more...... too lazy to type

Oh and possibly Oblak
Old 26-08-20, 09:31 PM   #5463
Exiled_red
Paisley

Signed Chilwell from Leicester for £45m
Old 26-08-20, 10:16 PM   #5464
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

They have done some very good business, to suggest otherwise is bollocks. Fee wise I don't think they've overpaid but possibly in wages.
Old 26-08-20, 10:30 PM   #5465
Pepe79
Dalglish

They’ve signed well, but they’ve spent freely too. They’re paying premium fees, which of course makes things much easier. There hasn’t been anything shrewd about their business.
Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-20, 10:37 PM   #5466
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
They’ve signed well, but they’ve spent freely too. They’re paying premium fees, which of course makes things much easier. There hasn’t been anything shrewd about their business.
Do you get more points if you're shrewd or have I missed something? If they sign Havertz for 80m that's excessive. But Chilwell is the going rate, lot less than maguire was. Werner wasn't expensive and I think klopp wanted him, just my view. Pulisic wasn't mad money either. Their wage bill must be extremely high though.
Old 26-08-20, 10:56 PM   #5467
Pepe79
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
Do you get more points if you're shrewd or have I missed something? If they sign Havertz for 80m that's excessive. But Chilwell is the going rate, lot less than maguire was. Werner wasn't expensive and I think klopp wanted him, just my view. Pulisic wasn't mad money either. Their wage bill must be extremely high though.
Did I suggest that you do? I just said that it’s relatively easy to make good signings when you’re not financially constrained.

£45 is still big money for a full back. Pulisic was signed for roughy the same as what we paid for Alisson, and he’s our second biggest signing ever. Pretty hefty price tag if you ask me.
Old 26-08-20, 11:11 PM   #5468
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
Did I suggest that you do? I just said that it’s relatively easy to make good signings when you’re not financially constrained.

£45 is still big money for a full back. Pulisic was signed for roughy the same as what we paid for Alisson, and he’s our second biggest signing ever. Pretty hefty price tag if you ask me.
Sorry my mistake I thought pulisic was about 40m.
Old 26-08-20, 11:19 PM   #5469
Pepe79
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
Sorry my mistake I thought pulisic was about 40m.
Old 27-08-20, 08:00 AM   #5470
dizzycat
Dalglish

Be interesting to see how Lampard manages that squad. He has now got depth and options galore. If he is pragmatic, they could significantly improve, hopefully the dodgy keeper factor will hold them back
Old 27-08-20, 09:33 AM   #5471
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
They've spent Morata and Hazard money and freed up wages elsewhere. Even if Havetz goes through they're on something like net even over 12 months.

It was the same with us and Alisson, Fabinho and Virgil. It pays off to reinvest well.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-20, 09:57 AM   #5472
Pepe79
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post
They've spent Morata and Hazard money and freed up wages elsewhere. Even if Havetz goes through they're on something like net even over 12 months.

It was the same with us and Alisson, Fabinho and Virgil. It pays off to reinvest well.
They got about £150m for Hazard and Morata. They also spent £97m on Kovacic and Pulisic last summer. They’ve spent £130m this window, before Havertz.

Even with bonus money for Hazard from Real’s La Liga win, they’ve well exceeded the income for him and Morata.

Werner has reportedly come in on £270k a week. Hazard was on £200k pw. With him and all these other signings (Silva and Havertz still to come) there’s no way their wage bill hasn’t expanded massively.
Old 27-08-20, 10:11 AM   #5473
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
They got about £150m for Hazard and Morata. They also spent £97m on Kovacic and Pulisic last summer. They’ve spent £130m this window, before Havertz.

Even with bonus money for Hazard from Real’s La Liga win, they’ve well exceeded the income for him and Morata.

Werner has reportedly come in on £270k a week. Hazard was on £200k pw. With him and all these other signings (Silva and Havertz still to come) there’s no way their wage bill hasn’t expanded massively.
Up to £220 for Morata and Hazard though.

They also stockpile players, so have:
Pasalic £13m
Michael Hector £5m
David Luiz £8m
Tomas Kalas £8m
Ola Aina £8m

Not to mention how much they've recouped in loan fees in the past few years.

They've traded well, but we'll only know by how much next year.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-20, 10:49 AM   #5474
The_weatherman
Smug

Seems like good purchases, but:

1. Might be difficult to gel all these players with such a short pre-season.
2. Might be hard on Mount, Tomori, Tammi, Hudson-Odoi, could see rough morale.
3. The wages could be a problem FFP wise next season if attendance stays low and the season is curtailed.
Old 27-08-20, 11:15 AM   #5475
frank the tank
Shankly

City have proved that FFP is a load of bollocks......wouldn't be surprised if Roman saw that and said "fuck this......we go again"

Didn't Hudson Odoi wait and wait for something like 180k per week??? Jesus!!!
Old 27-08-20, 01:55 PM   #5476
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

They have massively improved their team, some fantastic business. Werner & Havertz are two of the best young German talents, Silva will bring experience, was a beast in his day but interesting to see can he hack the pace. Chilwell is much better than what they currently have. For me, the most interesting one is Ziyech, has the potential to get so many goals and assists and is flying under the radar will the other being names mentioned.

Add them to the quality of Pulisic, Kante & Azpilicueta they will have a strong bench now too (Few may leave I would imagine). They are a few defenders short of having a pretty formidable starting 11.... on paper anyways. We'll see how that translates on the pitch & if these players can gel together. Sometimes it can be great getting so many quality players, other times it can be a dangerous game adding too many at once.
Old 27-08-20, 02:08 PM   #5477
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

They seem well set for when they change the rules to 15 a side.

I know Klopp prefers to run with a light squad it is easier to control morale and to keep everyone involved. There is no way Lampard has the chops to handle a bloated, ego heavy squad where he cant satisfy everyone with game time.

There is more to success than just buying in shit loads of good players.

Last edited by Buzzo; 27-08-20 at 02:11 PM.
Old 27-08-20, 02:09 PM   #5478
Deano
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by danperkins View Post
They have massively improved their team, some fantastic business. Werner & Havertz are two of the best young German talents, Silva will bring experience, was a beast in his day but interesting to see can he hack the pace. Chilwell is much better than what they currently have. For me, the most interesting one is Ziyech, has the potential to get so many goals and assists and is flying under the radar will the other being names mentioned.

Add them to the quality of Pulisic, Kante & Azpilicueta they will have a strong bench now too (Few may leave I would imagine). They are a few defenders short of having a pretty formidable starting 11.... on paper anyways. We'll see how that translates on the pitch & if these players can gel together. Sometimes it can be great getting so many quality players, other times it can be a dangerous game adding too many at once.
Wouldn't put Azpilicueta as quality, but they've got some talent in James. I thought Kante was on his way out ?
Old 27-08-20, 06:34 PM   #5479
Phoenix07
The Normal One

Signed Malang Sarr on a free.

I mentioned him in the transfer thread as a possible centre-back option.
Phoenix07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-20, 08:45 PM   #5480
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Wouldn't put Azpilicueta as quality, but they've got some talent in James. I thought Kante was on his way out ?
One of the most under rated prem defenders in the last 7 or 8 years imo. James is still bit raw but looks a talent. Kante staying put is huge for them.

est1892 > Football > General Football