It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 21-08-20, 11:12 PM   #5441
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft
 
Kenneth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 51,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
Ah bugger, I've always liked Thiago Silva
Sure, but now he's a 35 year old centre back in the fastest major League in Europe. I can see his value for them as an experienced pro off the pitch, but I can't see him being particularly useful on it.
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-20, 01:05 AM   #5442
Sus
Benitez
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 600
Yep I dont get this one from a playing perspective. Hes about to turn 36, and has played the last few years in one of the slowest leagues in the world
Sus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-20, 02:47 AM   #5443
Harv
Randy Marsh
 
Harv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 23,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
Ah bugger, I've always liked Thiago Silva
Hes 35. He'll get rings run round him in this league. Cant wait until he has to try contain Mane, Salah and Bobby
__________________
"When a man insults my country I insult him, by taking his woman" Tony Yeboah

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-20, 08:39 AM   #5444
frank the tank
Shankly
 
frank the tank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,407
I hope lampard buys loads of defenders. I don't think he is tactically good enough and with loads of signings he will struggle to find a formula. I reckon that he will be gone by the end of next year. Maybe Poch will be the next Chelsea manager after that.....

I wonder will there be any players marginalised that will leave chelsea??? I wouldn't mind Tomori
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-20, 09:09 AM   #5445
Irishnev
Shankly
 
Irishnev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
I hope lampard buys loads of defenders. I don't think he is tactically good enough and with loads of signings he will struggle to find a formula. I reckon that he will be gone by the end of next year. Maybe Poch will be the next Chelsea manager after that.....

I wonder will there be any players marginalised that will leave chelsea??? I wouldn't mind Tomori
I think Roman is very keen on Naglesmann
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 12:54 PM   #5446
Irishnev
Shankly
 
Irishnev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,852
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 01:03 PM   #5447
Tribute
Shankly
 
Tribute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Hes 35. He'll get rings run round him in this league. Cant wait until he has to try contain Mane, Salah and Bobby
...that's even older than Father Time himself, Mr 'fit as a butcher's dog' Milner!
Tribute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 01:08 PM   #5448
red g
Paisley
 
red g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 26,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Some sttacking line up Chelsea will have next year. Has to be pressure on Frank for a proper title fight.
__________________
_____________________________________

Weak willed, Wank or do they have a masterplan?

Think we have the answer..Klopp
red g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 01:13 PM   #5449
Tribute
Shankly
 
Tribute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by red g View Post
Some sttacking line up Chelsea will have next year. Has to be pressure on Frank for a proper title fight.
...imagine winning the Premier League, earning £175m in prize money and then realising you'd just spent close to £300m on players to win it...
Tribute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 01:34 PM   #5450
Sus
Benitez
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by red g View Post
Some sttacking line up Chelsea will have next year. Has to be pressure on Frank for a proper title fight.
Has to be right? This is an unreal level of backing, especially for an uproven manager

Will be fascinating to see how he goes...
Sus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 01:55 PM   #5451
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 42,403
Massively bloated squad now.

Will be interesting to see how Frank keeps them all happy. Particularly the young lads that broke through and will now struggle for game time.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 01:58 PM   #5452
Irishnev
Shankly
 
Irishnev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,852
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 02:04 PM   #5453
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse
 
Norbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 32,877
The new David Luiz
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 02:06 PM   #5454
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 42,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
He got skinned for pace by Lewandowski last night once or twice.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 02:12 PM   #5455
red g
Paisley
 
red g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 26,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Massively bloated squad now.

Will be interesting to see how Frank keeps them all happy. Particularly the young lads that broke through and will now struggle for game time.
He got a lot of credit and rightly so for bringing through so many of the young lads, It would appear that this was an anomoly due to their transfer ban and they have gone back to their previous strategy. COuld be some good youngsters to pick off next year when they become disillusioned.
__________________
_____________________________________

Weak willed, Wank or do they have a masterplan?

Think we have the answer..Klopp
red g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 02:37 PM   #5456
spud_gun
Paisley
 
spud_gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Two years?

Wasn't he about 35 when he joined PSG from Milan
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 03:14 PM   #5457
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 42,403
He turns 36 in three weeks or so so they’ve got him until he turns 38.

Chelsea will just sign anyone.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 03:32 PM   #5458
frank the tank
Shankly
 
frank the tank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,407
Havertz, Chilwell, Silva, Werner, Ziyech - 5 good additions to them. Still have a dodgy goalie though!!!

Will be interesting to see how they perform and settle. Although they are 5 good players, only one has PL experience so it will possibly take time. A front 4 of Werner, Ziyech, Havertz and Pullisic will be pretty good though.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 04:08 PM   #5459
Irishnev
Shankly
 
Irishnev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
He turns 36 in three weeks or so so they’ve got him until he turns 38.

Chelsea will just sign anyone.
I was advocating the signing just pointing it out. He was class in his day but it’s an odd signing given the pace of the premier league. I suspect he’ll play central in the back 3 where he won’t get dragged wife and exposed as much.

Tomori and Christiansen will learn from him but if Kepa is behind you it doesn’t matter
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 04:10 PM   #5460
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 42,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
I was advocating the signing just pointing it out. He was class in his day but it’s an odd signing given the pace of the premier league. I suspect he’ll play central in the back 3 where he won’t get dragged wife and exposed as much.

Tomori and Christiansen will learn from him but if Kepa is behind you it doesn’t matter


I was taking your post as a news update rather than your advocating the signing
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 04:19 PM   #5461
frank the tank
Shankly
 
frank the tank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
I was advocating the signing just pointing it out. He was class in his day but it’s an odd signing given the pace of the premier league. I suspect he’ll play central in the back 3 where he won’t get dragged wife and exposed as much.

Tomori and Christiansen will learn from him but if Kepa is behind you it doesn’t matter
Good post

It will be interesting to see what formation they start to play. Lampard has changed a bit last season but for me, the best teams always tend to stick to the same formation and manage games accordingly.

You think a 3-4-3 formation? So Chilwell and possibly Azpilicueta as wing backs? Not sure they will be strong enough in the middle of the park then
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-20, 07:16 PM   #5462
Irishnev
Shankly
 
Irishnev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
Good post

It will be interesting to see what formation they start to play. Lampard has changed a bit last season but for me, the best teams always tend to stick to the same formation and manage games accordingly.

You think a 3-4-3 formation? So Chilwell and possibly Azpilicueta as wing backs? Not sure they will be strong enough in the middle of the park then
They were openly playing 3-4-3 for large parts of the season

Aspi - RCB, Silva - CB, Rudiger - LCB
James - RWB, Chilwell - LWB
Kovacic, Havertz and Kante as the middle 3
Werner + 1 up top

Pulisic, Ziyech, Giroud, Mount, CHO, Abraham, Jorginho, Barkley, Christiansen + more...... too lazy to type

Oh and possibly Oblak
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-20, 09:31 PM   #5463
Exiled_red
Paisley
 
Exiled_red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 43,508
Signed Chilwell from Leicester for £45m
__________________
The only gracious way to accept an insult is to ignore it; if you can't ignore it, top it; if you can't top it, laugh at it; if you can't laugh at it, it's probably deserved.
Exiled_red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-20, 10:16 PM   #5464
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain
 
BobTheCharmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,050
They have done some very good business, to suggest otherwise is bollocks. Fee wise I don't think they've overpaid but possibly in wages.
__________________
Always borrow money from a pessimist. He won’t expect it back. Oscar Wilde
BobTheCharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-20, 10:30 PM   #5465
Pepe79
Dalglish
 
Pepe79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,884
They’ve signed well, but they’ve spent freely too. They’re paying premium fees, which of course makes things much easier. There hasn’t been anything shrewd about their business.
Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-20, 10:37 PM   #5466
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain
 
BobTheCharmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
They’ve signed well, but they’ve spent freely too. They’re paying premium fees, which of course makes things much easier. There hasn’t been anything shrewd about their business.
Do you get more points if you're shrewd or have I missed something? If they sign Havertz for 80m that's excessive. But Chilwell is the going rate, lot less than maguire was. Werner wasn't expensive and I think klopp wanted him, just my view. Pulisic wasn't mad money either. Their wage bill must be extremely high though.
__________________
Always borrow money from a pessimist. He won’t expect it back. Oscar Wilde
BobTheCharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-20, 10:56 PM   #5467
Pepe79
Dalglish
 
Pepe79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
Do you get more points if you're shrewd or have I missed something? If they sign Havertz for 80m that's excessive. But Chilwell is the going rate, lot less than maguire was. Werner wasn't expensive and I think klopp wanted him, just my view. Pulisic wasn't mad money either. Their wage bill must be extremely high though.
Did I suggest that you do? I just said that it’s relatively easy to make good signings when you’re not financially constrained.

£45 is still big money for a full back. Pulisic was signed for roughy the same as what we paid for Alisson, and he’s our second biggest signing ever. Pretty hefty price tag if you ask me.
Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-20, 11:11 PM   #5468
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain
 
BobTheCharmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
Did I suggest that you do? I just said that it’s relatively easy to make good signings when you’re not financially constrained.

£45 is still big money for a full back. Pulisic was signed for roughy the same as what we paid for Alisson, and he’s our second biggest signing ever. Pretty hefty price tag if you ask me.
Sorry my mistake I thought pulisic was about 40m.
__________________
Always borrow money from a pessimist. He won’t expect it back. Oscar Wilde
BobTheCharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-20, 11:19 PM   #5469
Pepe79
Dalglish
 
Pepe79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
Sorry my mistake I thought pulisic was about 40m.
Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-20, 08:00 AM   #5470
dizzycat
Dalglish
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,125
Be interesting to see how Lampard manages that squad. He has now got depth and options galore. If he is pragmatic, they could significantly improve, hopefully the dodgy keeper factor will hold them back
__________________
Akloppalypse Now !
dizzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-20, 09:33 AM   #5471
labourRed
Shankly
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 9,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
They’ve signed well, but they’ve spent freely too. They’re paying premium fees, which of course makes things much easier. There hasn’t been anything shrewd about their business.
They've spent Morata and Hazard money and freed up wages elsewhere. Even if Havetz goes through they're on something like net even over 12 months.

It was the same with us and Alisson, Fabinho and Virgil. It pays off to reinvest well.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-20, 09:57 AM   #5472
Pepe79
Dalglish
 
Pepe79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by labourRed View Post
They've spent Morata and Hazard money and freed up wages elsewhere. Even if Havetz goes through they're on something like net even over 12 months.

It was the same with us and Alisson, Fabinho and Virgil. It pays off to reinvest well.
They got about £150m for Hazard and Morata. They also spent £97m on Kovacic and Pulisic last summer. They’ve spent £130m this window, before Havertz.

Even with bonus money for Hazard from Real’s La Liga win, they’ve well exceeded the income for him and Morata.

Werner has reportedly come in on £270k a week. Hazard was on £200k pw. With him and all these other signings (Silva and Havertz still to come) there’s no way their wage bill hasn’t expanded massively.
Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-20, 10:11 AM   #5473
labourRed
Shankly
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 9,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
They got about £150m for Hazard and Morata. They also spent £97m on Kovacic and Pulisic last summer. They’ve spent £130m this window, before Havertz.

Even with bonus money for Hazard from Real’s La Liga win, they’ve well exceeded the income for him and Morata.

Werner has reportedly come in on £270k a week. Hazard was on £200k pw. With him and all these other signings (Silva and Havertz still to come) there’s no way their wage bill hasn’t expanded massively.
Up to £220 for Morata and Hazard though.

They also stockpile players, so have:
Pasalic £13m
Michael Hector £5m
David Luiz £8m
Tomas Kalas £8m
Ola Aina £8m

Not to mention how much they've recouped in loan fees in the past few years.

They've traded well, but we'll only know by how much next year.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-20, 10:49 AM   #5474
The_weatherman
Smug
 
The_weatherman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 12,771
Seems like good purchases, but:

1. Might be difficult to gel all these players with such a short pre-season.
2. Might be hard on Mount, Tomori, Tammi, Hudson-Odoi, could see rough morale.
3. The wages could be a problem FFP wise next season if attendance stays low and the season is curtailed.
__________________
* The above is posted in my opinion. Feel free to disagree.
The_weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-20, 11:15 AM   #5475
frank the tank
Shankly
 
frank the tank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,407
City have proved that FFP is a load of bollocks......wouldn't be surprised if Roman saw that and said "fuck this......we go again"

Didn't Hudson Odoi wait and wait for something like 180k per week??? Jesus!!!
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-20, 01:55 PM   #5476
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves
 
danperkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 36,726
They have massively improved their team, some fantastic business. Werner & Havertz are two of the best young German talents, Silva will bring experience, was a beast in his day but interesting to see can he hack the pace. Chilwell is much better than what they currently have. For me, the most interesting one is Ziyech, has the potential to get so many goals and assists and is flying under the radar will the other being names mentioned.

Add them to the quality of Pulisic, Kante & Azpilicueta they will have a strong bench now too (Few may leave I would imagine). They are a few defenders short of having a pretty formidable starting 11.... on paper anyways. We'll see how that translates on the pitch & if these players can gel together. Sometimes it can be great getting so many quality players, other times it can be a dangerous game adding too many at once.
__________________
When in doubt, mumble.
danperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-20, 02:08 PM   #5477
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth
 
Buzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 42,403
They seem well set for when they change the rules to 15 a side.

I know Klopp prefers to run with a light squad it is easier to control morale and to keep everyone involved. There is no way Lampard has the chops to handle a bloated, ego heavy squad where he cant satisfy everyone with game time.

There is more to success than just buying in shit loads of good players.

Last edited by Buzzo; 27-08-20 at 02:11 PM.
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-20, 02:09 PM   #5478
Deano
Shankly
 
Deano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by danperkins View Post
They have massively improved their team, some fantastic business. Werner & Havertz are two of the best young German talents, Silva will bring experience, was a beast in his day but interesting to see can he hack the pace. Chilwell is much better than what they currently have. For me, the most interesting one is Ziyech, has the potential to get so many goals and assists and is flying under the radar will the other being names mentioned.

Add them to the quality of Pulisic, Kante & Azpilicueta they will have a strong bench now too (Few may leave I would imagine). They are a few defenders short of having a pretty formidable starting 11.... on paper anyways. We'll see how that translates on the pitch & if these players can gel together. Sometimes it can be great getting so many quality players, other times it can be a dangerous game adding too many at once.
Wouldn't put Azpilicueta as quality, but they've got some talent in James. I thought Kante was on his way out ?
__________________
I make no apologies, this is me
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-20, 06:34 PM   #5479
Phoenix07
The Normal One
 
Phoenix07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10,027
Signed Malang Sarr on a free.

I mentioned him in the transfer thread as a possible centre-back option.
Phoenix07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-20, 08:45 PM   #5480
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves
 
danperkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 36,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Wouldn't put Azpilicueta as quality, but they've got some talent in James. I thought Kante was on his way out ?
One of the most under rated prem defenders in the last 7 or 8 years imo. James is still bit raw but looks a talent. Kante staying put is huge for them.
__________________
When in doubt, mumble.
danperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  est1892 > Football > General Football

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:06 AM.


Our Current Balance versus Target. Please help us: (Donate)

Kindly Hosted By DigitalWales
Any posts remain the responsibility of the poster. Neither est1892, its Owners nor any company affiliated will be held responsible from any disputes arising from these posts. The views raised are not necessarily those held by the website or its owners.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.