It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 12-01-21, 11:50 PM   #1
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Liverpool vs Man Utd - Premier League (20/21 - Game 18)

UK:
Sunday 17th January at 4:30pm
Live on Sky Sports Premier League

Australia:
Perth Time: 18th January at 12:30am
QLD Time: 18th January at 2:30am
NSW/VIC: 18th January at 3:30am
Live on Optus Sports

-------------------

This is it!

We've lost our way a little bit but we've played loads of dross teams that have just defended and Man Utd are far more open.

Win this and we go back on top (or is that joint top?)!

-------------------

LIVERPOOL

Table: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/t...iverpool/table

Top scorers (Premier League)

Salah - 13
Mane - 6
Firmino - 5
Jota - 5
Henderson - 1
Minamino - 1
Matip - 1
Wijnaldum - 1
Robertson - 1
VVD - 1

Injuries: https://www.premierinjuries.com/injury-table.php
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 12-01-21, 11:51 PM   #2
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Time for us to start clicking again. Huge game.
Old 12-01-21, 11:57 PM   #3
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Yeah big game this, first time we go into a game in poor form for about three years. It feels odd

We’ve got it in us, motivation should be high, but we need the front three to be on song, and I think we need Matip to be fit.

If we line up with Matip and Fabinho then I think we will get a win. Without could be a battle.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Buzzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-21, 12:09 AM   #4
S-RED
Dalglish

Matip fit, front 3 talking to each other, thiago in midfield and we win
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-21, 12:13 AM   #5
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Yeah. Thiago in a match where we don’t face a team sitting back could be interesting. That transition from defence to attack. It’s games like this and the CL where I think we will see him at his best.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 13-01-21, 12:21 AM   #6
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
Yeah. Thiago in a match where we donít face a team sitting back could be interesting. That transition from defence to attack. Itís games like this and the CL where I think we will see him at his best.
They'll sit back and let us have the ball. They aren't going to have more than 25% of the ball. They gave good attackers on the break. If you're hoping for an open game I can't see it. Be similar to West brom but utd have better players.
Old 13-01-21, 12:49 AM   #7
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
They'll sit back and let us have the ball. They aren't going to have more than 25% of the ball. They gave good attackers on the break. If you're hoping for an open game I can't see it. Be similar to West brom but utd have better players.
They canít sit and defend like WBA for 90mins with a formation that has Rashford Fernandes and Martial/Pogba playing behind Martial/Cavani. They wonít be expensive as us, but this is not Mourinhoís Man U, they do try to play.

I think they will have McTominay and either Fred or Matic in CDM.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 13-01-21, 01:47 AM   #8
Sus
Benitez

This game is AGES away and I'm already thinking non-stop about it - will be a long week
Sus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-21, 07:11 AM   #9
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzo View Post
They canít sit and defend like WBA for 90mins with a formation that has Rashford Fernandes and Martial/Pogba playing behind Martial/Cavani. They wonít be expensive as us, but this is not Mourinhoís Man U, they do try to play.

I think they will have McTominay and either Fred or Matic in CDM.
They will play 5-3-2.....itís Oleís go to for big games. They will have Rashford and Martial/Greenwood up top and theyíll play the corners and try to hit us on the break or win a pen. I think if Matip plays we win and if he doesnít then I worry because shit as they are they have the tools to hurt us right now
Irishnev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-21, 07:53 AM   #10
dizzycat
Dalglish

Biggest game in a long time. If we had shown more intelligence in previous games we would have had a nice points cushion. We really need a win, otherwise it is going to be weeks of being in a top six dogfight. Although with all that is going on I am not sure if football should still be being played.
Old 13-01-21, 09:15 AM   #11
SB
Paisley

Yeah I agree with the sentiment on here & I can’t stop thinking about it. They’re getting late 1-0 wins constantly but I’m going to think positively & predict a 3-0 win & get us back into the title race. Lose this & it’ll be a mountain to climb imo.
Old 13-01-21, 09:46 AM   #12
rodo
Shankly

Top after 17 games and back down to 2nd with a defeat and there is talk of back on there fucking perch
Old 13-01-21, 09:47 AM   #13
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

Itís what Neville said last night. Theyíll enjoy the run up to the game but we wonít.
Old 13-01-21, 11:12 AM   #14
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
Itís what Neville said last night. Theyíll enjoy the run up to the game but we wonít.
I donít think thatís true. As supporters yes, we wonít enjoy the run up so much, but do we ever,m? Our players donít strike me as a group who are going to be laid low with angst at the thought of facing Utd. Itís an opportunity for them.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Old 13-01-21, 11:29 AM   #15
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

I can't fucking wait personally, this is what games like this are about. We're more than good enough to beat them, Trent and Robbo will have had loads of rest and will be sharp and Klopp has had a good week to work on them, they'll be fired up I'm confident of that.

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-21, 11:50 AM   #16
poorscousertommy
Dalglish

Quote:
Absolutely spot on.

They will sit back and try to catch us on the break.
poorscousertommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-21, 11:54 AM   #17
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

I'm worried about our rubbish record after a long ish break. We seem to need be in a good rhythm to play well, although that didn't serve us well over Xmas
Old 13-01-21, 11:54 AM   #18
danperkins

Quote:
Old 13-01-21, 12:06 PM   #19
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I'm worried about our rubbish record after a long ish break. We seem to need be in a good rhythm to play well, although that didn't serve us well over Xmas
Presuming that's why he picked a strong team against Villa's kids.

I think if there was ever a time when we looked a bit jaded and need a mini-break it's now.

I think had we come back to a game against Brighton or someone it might be a concern, but surely we'll be up for it after a break against United?
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-21, 12:51 PM   #20
frank the tank
Shankly

Big pity for me is the lack of any fans in the ground. Obviously it is nothing like a packed Anfield but even 2000 would have made a bit of a difference.

I echo Bob and Nevs sentiments above. United will sit very deep. I think Ole will play for a nil-all with the hope of getting a one nil. Garbage football - especially after spending so much money - but if it gets them trophies then they won't care.

He rested Fred and McTominay last night.

I expect he will play a 4-6-0 formation. 2 of Rashford / Martial / Greenwood on the wings to counter attack. With four central midfielders - Fred, McTominey, Fernandes and Pogba.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see the likes of Fred and McTominey go in physically hard on Thiago. They know that he is above them all skill-wise so will try to foul him out of the game. A strong referee will be important. Knowing our luck (or actually, how we have been fucked over by the league) it will be that prick Martin Atkinson with Coote on the VAR.

I hate the build up to these games. Do we know who the referee is yet? I hope it's Michael Oliver.

The weak link for them will be their full backs.

Matip is crucial for us alright. Apart from that, then hopefully we can do ourselves justice in this game. If Thiago and our front 3 click,
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 13-01-21, 12:56 PM   #21
S-RED
Dalglish

its Tierney reffing, VAR: Stuart Attwell.
Old 13-01-21, 01:45 PM   #22
McDermotX
Paisley

Admittedly only Weds, but no indication of Matip in training apparently.
Old 13-01-21, 02:02 PM   #23
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Endlessly grim times

Quote:
Joel Matip ‘running out of time’ to return to fitness before Man United

January 13, 2021

Liverpool face being without centre-back Joel Matip for the top-of-the-table Premier League clash with Manchester United at Anfield on Sunday.

The Reds are currently without a senior centre-back and started the last match, the defeat to Southampton, with two midfielders at the heart of the back line.

With Man United coming up next at the weekend and the need for three points imperative to regain top spot, the expectation is that Jordan Henderson will revert to midfield – which leaves another gap at the back.

Fabinho will start of course, but alongside him would be Matip if he recovered in time from the injury suffered against West Brom, which the club initially expected to keep him out for around three weeks.

Last week, however, fans were given hope that the big Cameroonian could make a quicker-than-expected recovery – only for that optimism to appear misplaced.

That’s according to the Mirror‘s David Maddock, who says our No. 32 has “yet to train with the first-team squad” despite returning to on-grass running and ball work.

If Matip doesn’t get a couple of sessions in with the team before the match, he’s unlikely to be considered for selection – which potentially means he must join in with the rest of the squad by Thursday or Friday’s session.

That will mean a choice between Nat Phillips – who played against Newcastle – and Rhys Williams – whose only league start was against Spurs – to partner Fabinho against United at Anfield.

Klopp’s decision may be slightly eased by the fact that the speedy Anthony Martial, who would be most likely to start as the No. 9 for Solskjaer, seemed to injure his hamstring in the closing minutes on Tuesday night, which would leave the less-mobile Edinson Cavani starting up front again instead.

There’s still plenty of pace from wide and deeper areas to contend with, but the direct rival for Phillips or Williams being a powerful aerial threat is arguably a better contest, even if that is a player who has been an elite performer.

Maddock further clarifies that “it is understood [Matip] has progressed to training in specially-prepared sessions with the physios”, and suggests risks won’t be taken given the game load ahead after the United match.

The Reds will face games every weekend and midweek up until at least 6 February from this point, seven matches in 20 days from Man United at home to Man City at home.

We’ll need Matip for as many of those as possible if no centre-back is signed this month, as now seems most frequently reported in the media.
Old 13-01-21, 02:09 PM   #24
Fredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Endlessly grim times
Actually, if the initial reports of him being out for 3 weeks are correct, it's normal he hadn't started training yet. I expect him to join team training end of the week and have a couple of sessions with them, if everything goes to plan.

So, not too grim yet.
Old 13-01-21, 02:09 PM   #25
Fredo

Also, I'm pretty sure all our preparations would not have him in the team anyway.
Old 13-01-21, 02:26 PM   #26
fabinho
Houllier

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank the tank View Post
Big pity for me is the lack of any fans in the ground. Obviously it is nothing like a packed Anfield but even 2000 would have made a bit of a difference.

I echo Bob and Nevs sentiments above. United will sit very deep. I think Ole will play for a nil-all with the hope of getting a one nil. Garbage football - especially after spending so much money - but if it gets them trophies then they won't care.

He rested Fred and McTominay last night.

I expect he will play a 4-6-0 formation. 2 of Rashford / Martial / Greenwood on the wings to counter attack. With four central midfielders - Fred, McTominey, Fernandes and Pogba.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see the likes of Fred and McTominey go in physically hard on Thiago. They know that he is above them all skill-wise so will try to foul him out of the game. A strong referee will be important. Knowing our luck (or actually, how we have been fucked over by the league) it will be that prick Martin Atkinson with Coote on the VAR.

I hate the build up to these games. Do we know who the referee is yet? I hope it's Michael Oliver.

The weak link for them will be their full backs.

Matip is crucial for us alright. Apart from that, then hopefully we can do ourselves justice in this game. If Thiago and our front 3 click,
No way he'll play for 0-0 in our current situation, run of form and their away form. They'll be going all out to try and batter us in my opinion.
Old 13-01-21, 03:01 PM   #27
Fredo

Did they play with 5 at the back against city recently (league cup game)? IIRC they had Lindelof and Maguire in defence and rested Bailly, so it would have been a 4 man defence I think.

Bailly gives them solidity at the back and I think look more solid with him there. Is prone to a rash challenge and error at times though.
Old 13-01-21, 03:03 PM   #28
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabinho View Post
No way he'll play for 0-0 in our current situation, run of form and their away form. They'll be going all out to try and batter us in my opinion.

I so hope that will be how he sends his team out. Do not think he will and I fully expect the game plan to be to spoil in midfield as much as possible and sit deep looking for counter attacking chances, but really hope they do as you think and try to go for it against us.
And if she sees you here, she gonna cut you through
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-21, 03:20 PM   #29
S-RED
Dalglish

yes, you only need look to the derby game they had in the league 0-0 & zero intent
Old 13-01-21, 03:23 PM   #30
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-RED View Post
yes, you only need look to the derby game they had in the league 0-0 & zero intent

Yep. Any team coming at us hard has to take the chance that we could batter them as a result of giving us space. Ole is not the type of manager to take that sort of risk. He will play safe, sit deep, and try to play the percentages as much as possible.
And if she sees you here, she gonna cut you through

Last edited by Jaco_Pastorious; 13-01-21 at 03:25 PM.
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-21, 03:40 PM   #31
Mr Pink
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabinho View Post

Our run of bad form has been due to us struggling to break down teams that sit deep... and they have players to counter attack... I would be very surprised if they donít put 11 men behind the ball and hope to catch us on the break.

Their good position is from beating all the small teams consistently- they havenít beaten any top team... from arsenal, Chelsea, spurs and city they have 2 points.. we have 10 points from the same games.. Ole knows that a point would be a great result for them- keeps them 3 points clear. If they go toe to toe with us, we should beat them comfortably.
Old 13-01-21, 03:55 PM   #32
greenturnip
Benitez

Scoring first would be massive for us. Forces them to have a go and leave themselves more open. I presume Hendo again next to Fab..?
greenturnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-21, 04:12 PM   #33
danperkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
Our run of bad form has been due to us struggling to break down teams that sit deep... and they have players to counter attack... I would be very surprised if they donít put 11 men behind the ball and hope to catch us on the break.

Their good position is from beating all the small teams consistently- they havenít beaten any top team... from arsenal, Chelsea, spurs and city they have 2 points.. we have 10 points from the same games.. Ole knows that a point would be a great result for them- keeps them 3 points clear. If they go toe to toe with us, we should beat them comfortably.
Old 13-01-21, 04:51 PM   #34
ntto
Dalglish

bet Martial starts - the "injury" will have been stage managed - right out of Fergies playbook
ntto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-21, 04:53 PM   #35
Scratch
If you fail once....

Quote:
To be fair , United have also struggled to break these teams down, much like yesterday where a deflected shot crept in, whereas our luck has deserted us, or the keeper has pulled off an outstanding save (the WBA one stands out from Bobby, at the death). I've watched many United games (the missus is a United fan) where they look to have run out of luck only to score a scrappy goal.
Old 13-01-21, 05:16 PM   #36
Ams12
Dalglish

Luck deffo plays a part! Deflected goal vs Wolves. Yesterday Pogbaís goal was well worked and got the slightest of deflections...cant remember correctly if it would have been saved or not without the deflection. I guess teams donít defend as intensely against them as they have vs us, which leaves us sooo much little room to work space into the box, but hopefully Thiago is the key to that but at the same time out forwards plus Gini & Hendo (if not playing CB) need to have their shooting boots on and not hit it straight to the keeper! Weíve had ample chances in our last 3 games but the shot has either gone straight to the GK or has been well underhit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ams12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-21, 05:22 PM   #37
Mr Pink
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
To be fair , United have also struggled to break these teams down, much like yesterday where a deflected shot crept in, whereas our luck has deserted us, or the keeper has pulled off an outstanding save (the WBA one stands out from Bobby, at the death). I've watched many United games (the missus is a United fan) where they look to have run out of luck only to score a scrappy goal.

Ohhh ya totally agree that they have been lucky.. I should have been more clear- my point about us struggling to break down teams was that if Ole analyses how to play against us- that is how other teams have had success against us. The bigger teams that have been more ambitious havenít had much success against us.

When I said that united have beaten the small teams consistently, what I meant was they havenít gotten to where they were from out playing any good teams.

So if Ole looks at our record against good teams who donít just throw 11 mean behind the ball, and looks at their own record against good teams, I donít think he will try to out play us... Theyíll play for a 0-0 and hope to snatch a 1-0 win.. either would be a great result for them.
Old 13-01-21, 08:08 PM   #38
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:

without a doubt.

I think his team will be something like this:

--------------------------------DE GEA----------------------------------

WAN BISSAKA-------BAILLY------------MAGUIRE---------------SHAW
------------------------FRED------------McTOMINAY--------------------

GREENWOOD-------FERNANDES-------POGBA-------------RASHFORD

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder will Shaqiri be key to this one? Would be handy if he could add something to the team and go on a bit of a run. I don't expect him to start but perhaps will be first option off the bench if needed?

Really hope Matip is fit to play. Hendo, Gini, Thiago midfield would be great.

One thing i found disappointing in the WBA, Southampton and Newcastle games is that we didn't have a few pops from 25 yards out. Hopefully this is something we can add to our game on Sunday. These cunts will really crowd the defense.

I can see us having a fair few free kicks and corners. Would be good to see Trent come back into form with a goal.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-21, 08:16 PM   #39
S-RED
Dalglish

more likely

--------------------------------DE GEA----------------------------------

WAN BISSAKA-----Lindelof----BAILLY-----MAGUIRE-----------SHAW

------------------------FRED------------McTOMINAY--------------------

------------FERNANDES-------POGBA-

------------RASHFORD
Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM   #40
Paul12
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenturnip View Post
Scoring first would be massive for us. Forces them to have a go and leave themselves more open. I presume Hendo again next to Fab..?
Hope so. Didn't like the ease with which Villa's 17 year old turned our 19 year old.
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC