It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 14-01-21, 04:59 AM   #561
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

And who's to say we don't go on a 10 game winning streak? This season is totally different and anyone could win the league. I wouldn't even be surprised if West Ham won it as strange as that sounds!
Old 14-01-21, 05:39 AM   #562
Mr Pink
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
I wouldn't even be surprised if West Ham won it
I would
Old 14-01-21, 08:56 AM   #563
Sus
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
I would
Moyes would be more surprised than you, I think
Sus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-21, 09:36 AM   #564
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
Yeah, it's not going to happen. Others will drop a few like that, but I think we've lost too many already.
It's not just about defeats it's about the games that you fail to win, draws are almost as costly particularly in the games that you really should be winning (Brighton, Fulham, West Brom etc)
Old 14-01-21, 09:37 AM   #565
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
And who's to say we don't go on a 10 game winning streak? This season is totally different and anyone could win the league. I wouldn't even be surprised if West Ham won it as strange as that sounds!
Old 14-01-21, 10:25 AM   #566
frank the tank
Shankly

Quote:
This season is totally different and anyone could win the league. I wouldn't even be surprised if West Ham won it
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-21, 10:40 AM   #567
BG1973
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
It's not just about defeats it's about the games that you fail to win, draws are almost as costly particularly in the games that you really should be winning (Brighton, Fulham, West Brom etc)

It's demoralising for everyone.. Which could be fatal.

However everyone is capable of having that dip and getting disappointing results.

3-4 weeks ago? Spurs could win it.
2 weeks ago we were defo winning it.
And United defo weren't.

Who's to say what it will look like in another 3-4 weeks.
BG1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-21, 10:57 AM   #568
Rigadon
Shankly

Quote:
very strange season. I think a team like Southampton, Everton or Leicester could get top four. I think any team that goes on a 10 game winning streak (and that could only be Liverpool, City or Utd - unfortunately momentum is currently with the Manchester clubs) will win the PL.
Old 14-01-21, 12:05 PM   #569
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

West Ham won't win the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14-01-21, 03:36 PM   #570
Mr Pink
Benitez

Quote:
West Ham won't win the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I certainly wouldnít be surprised if they donít win it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 14-01-21, 03:56 PM   #571
frank the tank
Shankly

Yip I wouldn't be surprised if West Ham don't win it. Or Leicester....... oh wait
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-21, 03:59 PM   #572
ChesterDave
Paisley

Quote:
I'd be shocked enough to eat my own leg live on Twitch, if they did.
Old 14-01-21, 06:07 PM   #573
Rafa Justice
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigadon View Post
very strange season. I think a team like Southampton, Everton or Leicester could get top four. I think any team that goes on a 10 game winning streak (and that could only be Liverpool, City or Utd - unfortunately momentum is currently with the Manchester clubs) will win the PL.
Don't think United can sustain it tbf, their squad lacks depth. Reckon its City's title this year, they're quietly gaining ground in everyone else and in form with a strong squad.

Will judge on Feb 1st but if we don't sign a CB....
Rafa Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-21, 07:15 PM   #574
Pepe79
Dalglish

Sunday 24th at 5pm for the FA Cup game

Pepe79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-21, 10:54 AM   #575
Scratch
If you fail once....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterDave View Post
I'd be shocked enough to eat my own leg live on Twitch, if they did.
I feel like I should be rooting for the Hammers now, just to see this.
Old 17-01-21, 05:02 PM   #576
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

The games come thick and fast now! Just checked.

Man U today
Burnley home Thursday
Man U (FA) away next Sunday
Spurs away 28th
West Ham away 31st

5 games in 2 weeks

Followed by Brighton home 3rd Feb
City home 6th

We will know quite a lot more about our season over the next three weeks.

Crowdfund

Vlog
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-21, 05:14 PM   #577
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

We really need something from today's game to keep it tight at the top. If Utd stretch their lead to 6 points then it puts them in a really strong position
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-21, 08:54 AM   #578
Irishnev
Shankly

Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-21, 08:59 AM   #579
Irishnev
Shankly

Not we want to be hearing but it’s true. I often wonder if he makes veiled suggestions to the owners but I don’t think he’s that political......
Old 18-01-21, 09:11 AM   #580
dizzycat
Dalglish

Not signing a centre half is just plain bad judgement and the type of thing that used to happen all too frequently. My biggest concern is that the whole team are looking jaded and we need to address this ASAP.
Old 18-01-21, 10:55 AM   #581
Paul12
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzycat View Post
Not signing a centre half is just plain bad judgement and the type of thing that used to happen all too frequently. My biggest concern is that the whole team are looking jaded and we need to address this ASAP.
I agree with your second sentence. The problem the club has is shortage of spare funds (blame Covid for that) and various problems that are largely (but arguably not exclusively) short-term.

So, for example, the club started the season thinking it can good quality cover at a number of positions, but at centre back it must have known it was heavy reliant on youngsters and two players that seem susceptible to injuries. I suspect they have someone lined up but he is not available to the summer, so the issue is whether to spend money they do not have to get someone they had not been looking to bring in long-term.

Upfront, Jota was signed to give quality cover but I suspect another is being eyed up for the summer because of the likelihood that someone will want out either this summer or next (and to get the average age of the strikeforce down). Again, do we cut across that now or accept we need to muddle through.

Midfield is a bit more complex. Bringing in Thiago despite his age is a clear sign that Klopp is trying to reshape. (I actually think Thiago IS the Gini replacement; very different player but part of the change needed.) Curtis' development this season is great - although he still has a way to go - but he looks a different sort of midfielder too.

I think we have a growing number of 'sicknotes' in the squad and this needs sorting too. I think the new backroom man has been brought in to sort this out and enable the club to take decisions about the Ox, Naby, Shaq, Gomez, and Matip. That sort out needs to start in the summer too.

Bearing all this in mind, can we really afford to spend money now on short-term fixes? I don't think so, frustrating though that answer is.
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-21, 12:01 PM   #582
Maxiedge
Shankly

Not having any fit CBs is a double whammy right now. With a rough patch, you could do with a set piece goal or at least some threat but we just don't have that at the moment. It seems like the lads don't even want to put the ball in

With regards to recent games, I think if you asked respective managers what their best performance of the season was so far, WBA, Fulham, Newcastle and Southampton would all say vs Liverpool. I'm sure of that.

It's the curse of being successful I guess. You get watched more, your players are more recognised; their strengths and weaknesses, and it's the box office game for most sides. I'm not saying we've been found out but I think there probably is a unwritten rule going round between managers that if they play tight, give us no space (even on throws ffs), close down quickly, while also giving it everything, Liverpool can be stopped.

I think the kind of erosive tactics that teams play against us has worn down our attack and also our confidence. We don't get the chances and space we used to and when we do, there always seems to be some indecisiveness due to the unfamiliarity of being in that position.

I think we need a couple of games when teams don't 'turn up' to set the wheels in motion again but whether we will get that break, I'm not sure, as I said, there is a certain way to stifle us and I'm sure every team will try and do the same.
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-21, 12:02 PM   #583
Exiled_red
Paisley

Obviously we don't know the situation with the club finances and we don't want to be taking unnecessary risks, but surely we can't be in such a tight spot that we don't have the money to brink someone in for 6 months on loan if the option is there (obviously we don't know if it is).

As things stand there is a real danger that we don't make the top 4. If that happens then the financial picture gets a hell of a lot worse.
Old 18-01-21, 02:34 PM   #584
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Obviously we don't know the situation with the club finances and we don't want to be taking unnecessary risks, but surely we can't be in such a tight spot that we don't have the money to brink someone in for 6 months on loan if the option is there (obviously we don't know if it is).

As things stand there is a real danger that we don't make the top 4. If that happens then the financial picture gets a hell of a lot worse.
...exactly, it's not like the club started the season with a CB short with Lovren's departure who wasn't replaced. Someone on a free like Militao for six months might not be 'the ideal signing' but it's better than having unproven kids playing alongside Fabinho... and/or Matip when he's been glued back together for a game or two... Risky strategy to start the season with three CBs not four and we're paying for it now.
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-21, 04:52 PM   #585
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:

this. Short term pain for long term gain. The money we will lose out on if we don't get champs league will be huge. If Fab gets injured (which he will at some point) we could be in serious trouble. A loan move as a just in case seems logical and a no brainer if players are available. We are not looking for a world beater, just someone who is better than Philips and Williams. Obviously we don't know what's going on behind the scenes but I would like to think we are actively looking to strengthen at CB in this window. So many of us we questioning why Lovren had not been replaced and it was said that Fab could fill in etc and that is all well and good but that means losing him in the midfield. Losing the two lads to long term was obviously unexpected but knowing Matip would constantly be injured was absolutely expected & we left ourselves short by not getting someone in.

Last edited by danperkins; 18-01-21 at 04:54 PM.
danperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-21, 05:22 PM   #586
Paul12
Benitez

"A loan move as a just in case seems logical and a no brainer if players are available."

So a loan player who is good enough to play in the top English team. I agree, but don't think it is remotely realistic unless we commit to buying him at the end of the season.
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-21, 06:21 PM   #587
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul12 View Post
"A loan move as a just in case seems logical and a no brainer if players are available."

So a loan player who is good enough to play in the top English team. I agree, but don't think it is remotely realistic unless we commit to buying him at the end of the season.
Or with an option to buy
Old 18-01-21, 07:24 PM   #588
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by danperkins View Post
Or with an option to buy
The route Italian clubs usually go with us
Old 18-01-21, 07:48 PM   #589
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Many clubs do these days
Old 18-01-21, 08:26 PM   #590
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Which they usually renege on
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-21, 08:57 PM   #591
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

It's all gone a bit shit hasn't it?
Old 19-01-21, 03:12 PM   #592
Irishnev
Shankly

The volume of headers being won is way down and our lads can’t hit a barn door right now - seems to be the main difference
Old 19-01-21, 03:20 PM   #593
greenturnip
Benitez

A number of pundits think that our pressing is less intense and less sustained - but not sure that is evident from those stats. I presume headers are down due to our main CBs being absent, back and front.
greenturnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-21, 03:22 PM   #594
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
https://twitter.com/topimpacat/statu...61506696724480

The volume of headers being won is way down and our lads canít hit a barn door right now - seems to be the main difference
Old 21-01-21, 11:34 PM   #595
Irishnev
Shankly

Old 21-01-21, 11:35 PM   #596
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

In 2021:

John Stones 2-0 Liverpool

Ffs
Old 21-01-21, 11:45 PM   #597
S-RED
Dalglish

we are only 21 days in, admittedly that are 21 shit days
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:25 AM   #598
Liverpool
Paisley

5 points from this run of WBA, Newcastle, Southampton, United, Burnley.

Add in the draws to Fulham and Brighton.

Remarkably shit, struggling to think of worse league form. Last time was probably the run to CL final 2018 which was excusable.
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM   #599
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

It has got to be a confidence / belief issue. Maybe debatable tactics as well or just bad decision making ( as Klopp mentions at each of his post match at the moment). How can we be hitting so many crosses against Burnley when itís meat and drink defending for them?

But on the main I think that lack of confidence makes our forward play predictable because we play the safe pass. Itís safe for Trent to cross it as the space he is into just invites it. Teams pack the area with bodies and are banking on us losing patience or making the wrong pass, which weíre doing a lot of the moment.

Having said that, we had the chances last night. Just not enough and consistently enough in the game to put Burnley under siege for longer periods. We did briefly threaten to run them over for a 10 minute period in the second half but they saw and rectified the issue tactically and we couldnít find another way to that.

Itís belief and confidence the issue and itís not going to be easy. Weíre not shit and havenít become shit overnight and donít believe that narrative. Jurgen and the coaching staff have to find something somewhere starting Sunday against United. Maybe play some of our fringe players and give them a chance but something need to be done slightly out of the ordinary now.

Life is grim without our reds.
Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM   #600
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

I'd keep playing Origi through the middle so there is a focal point. He comes in from out of the cold and in 45 minutes he engineers himself two attempts on goal, both on target, both relatively easy to save, but on target. He then gets gifted an opportunity that a confident player sticks away, but I always think the ones where you get time to think are the hardest. Through on goal, hasn't scored for ages, team is struggling, he would have felt the pressure, he made decent contact and rattles the bar. I've seen rush, fowler, Owen, torres, mane and salah miss similar chances. It happens. But he was a goal threat. Bobby has gone 3 or 4 matches at times not even having a shot at goal. Zero goal threat. Owen used to say get it on target, keep getting into the positions and eventually it'll come. If you don't shoot you've no chance.

I know Origi isn't good enough long term, I'm far from his biggest fan. But he should get a run of a few games imo. Absolutely no point starting the usual 3 right now. He is what we have, let's use him.

Sunday is perfect to get his second consecutive start. No one expects us to win.

How about playing 2 up front? Maybe Origi and Mane or Salah alongside just to try a different tactic. Least we might have two players in the box for the barrage of crosses.

Just my thoughts.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC