It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Old 22-07-15, 09:04 PM   #1
Alex
Administrator

Christian Benteke

Quote:
Liverpool Football Club are delighted to confirm the signing of Belgium international striker Christian Benteke from Aston Villa.

The 24-year-old put pen to paper on a long-term contract with the Reds today after successfully completing a medical in London.

Benteke has built a reputation as one of the Barclays Premier League's most clinical forwards since joining Villa from Genk in 2012, having scored 49 goals in 101 appearances for the Midlands side.

During that time he has also become a regular fixture for the Belgium national team and has netted seven goals in 24 outings for his country.

After completing his move to Anfield, Benteke told Liverpoolfc.com: "
http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/late...enteke-signing
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 22-07-15, 09:04 PM   #2
rodo
Shankly

ah well time to get behind the beast!!!!
Old 22-07-15, 09:05 PM   #3
Boogs
Shankly

Old 22-07-15, 09:05 PM   #4
RichC
Meh

Hopefully he'll prove to be a good signing
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-15, 09:05 PM   #5
Mattshark
Still Blames Thatcher

Good luck to the lad.
Mattshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-15, 09:06 PM   #6
Chazza
Des Lynam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattshark View Post
Good luck to the lad.
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-15, 09:07 PM   #7
Chris
Typing Tourettes is a thing

He's going to be a legend here, dont think theres any doubt about that!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-15, 09:08 PM   #8
meffin
Officially the best insider on this forum. Ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
He's going to be a legend here, dont think theres any doubt about that!
There's doubt
meffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-15, 09:10 PM   #9
Alex
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazza View Post

Old 22-07-15, 09:11 PM   #10
TheElephantMan
Hodgsoned

Just hope he's more Suarez/Torres than Carroll. Good luck to him, it would be fantastic if he could prove the doubters (myself included) wrong.
TheElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-15, 09:11 PM   #11
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Good stuff. I'm on his side now. Just waiting to be proved wrong. Imagine...if he punches his weight and we make it work for him here......could be fucking great. Even though I've not wanted him he's the right age, he's quick, strong as fuck, good in the air and scores goals. Those things can't be argued with. Good luck Big Chris
Old 22-07-15, 09:12 PM   #12
Rigadon
Shankly

Football friends!
Old 22-07-15, 09:12 PM   #13
Big-Red-Ed
Fagan

What did he tell Liverpoolfc.com? I'm dying to know.
Big-Red-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-15, 09:13 PM   #14
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 22-07-15, 09:13 PM   #15
el matador
Facing the firing squad for suggesting Brian McBride as a transfer target!

He is a very good player and certainly nothing like a traditional target man. He can definitely play but it also gives us the option to vary our attack patterns.

We don't have to play through the middle of the opposition. Benteke allows us to go long over them and wide around them.

Good player.
Old 22-07-15, 09:13 PM   #16
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

Wishing you the greatest success, Christian Benteke

Regards

Saveloy
Saveloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-15, 09:14 PM   #17
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Big Chris did a spot of painting at home before coming to sign

Old 22-07-15, 09:16 PM   #18
Gibbo
Like a boss

The hashtag is horrible.
Old 22-07-15, 09:16 PM   #19
Paddy
Out Patient

Whoever asks for these poses should be fired immediately. Hire the lad who shot Aaron Lennon for Everton.
Old 22-07-15, 09:16 PM   #20
Alex
Administrator

I fucking hate it when companies try to seize control of a hash-tag and force a trend.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 22-07-15, 09:16 PM   #21
Chazza
Des Lynam

14/1 to be the leagues top scorer
Old 22-07-15, 09:17 PM   #22
Paddy
Out Patient

But yeah, welcome Chris. Will be great if it proves successful, hopefully the price tag won't be a burden on him and also Rodgers.
Old 22-07-15, 09:18 PM   #23
Gibbo
Like a boss

But...happy enough at the signing, it's a strengthening in a department that we need. Obviously the fee is absolutely ridiculous, but he's here now and it's not my money at the end of the day.

Looking forward to his and Balotellis pass completion rate.
Old 22-07-15, 09:19 PM   #24
Boogs
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Whoever asks for these poses should be fired immediately. Hire the lad who shot Aaron Lennon for Everton.

No he went to stoke. Did you see the Glen Johnson pics?
Old 22-07-15, 09:19 PM   #25
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

£32.5m

Anyway, fingers crossed he's good.
Old 22-07-15, 09:19 PM   #26
Rowan
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Red-Ed View Post
What did he tell Liverpoolfc.com? I'm dying to know.
Just read it. I preferred the suspense. 'Big' Chris 'Keeps it succinct' Benteke
Old 22-07-15, 09:21 PM   #27
Rowan
Shankly

Big Chris gives it straight

Quote:
Christian, welcome to Liverpool Football Club. How does it feel to have signed?

I'm very happy to be here and I would like to thank the owners, Ian [Ayre] and of course the manager for their massive effort to bring me here.

We're speaking literally minutes after you put pen to paper, what would you say is your overwhelming emotion?

It's hard to show your emotion when you've just come from doing something [like this] but of course I am very happy.

Why was Liverpool the right club for you?

I think it was the right club for me because I had a good chat with the manager and I wanted to be part of his project.

You've scored several times at Anfield for Aston Villa in the last couple of years, what do you imagine it will be like running out in front of the home supporters in the red of Liverpool?

I think when I came here with Aston Villa [it was] a great feeling to play at Anfield. Now, to be in the home shirt is going to be an exciting feeling.

What do you know about Liverpool Football Club?

I know Liverpool is a big story. They've won [many] league titles and the Champions League five times and of course the UEFA Cup and a lot of trophies. I know it's a big club.

You're the seventh signing the club has made this summer, what is your take on the strength of the squad you're joining?

I think there are quality players, a lot of good players with big names of course. I'm happy to be part of this team and will [try] to help this team reach its goals.

How much are you looking forward to meeting up with your teammates in the final few weeks of pre-season?

I'm very excited. I want to meet them and work with them, of course.

You can also look forward to working with your Belgium international colleagues Simon Mignolet and Divock Origi - have you spoken to them in recent days about life at Liverpool?

Not yet but I will just wait to see them and hopefully they are going to help me!

Since you came to England you've developed into one of the Barclays Premier League's top forwards but how would you describe yourself as a striker?

It's hard to speak about yourself. I prefer other people to speak about me.

You're still only 24, do you feel you can develop and become an even better player at Liverpool?

Yeah of course. I want to be the best and I want to reach the best of myself.

What do you hope to actually achieve here at this football club?

I came here to win trophies. I came here to reach some great goals with the team.

What would you say motivates you as a footballer?

It's about winning trophies. It's about doing something in [my] career I can maybe explain to my son or my kids what I did.

As you sit here now having just signed for this club what are you looking forward to most?

There's a lot of feelings. I want first to meet my new teammates and I want to work with the manager and his staff.

Finally, what would you say was your message to supporters in Liverpool and all over the world who'll be wishing you every success in a red shirt?

I'm very happy to be part of the Liverpool family now and I will do everything to make them happy and work hard for them and my teammates.
Old 22-07-15, 09:22 PM   #28
Chazza
Des Lynam

Quote:
Christian Benteke will determine Brendan Rodgers' fate at Liverpool

The former Aston Villa striker's £32.5 million move to Anfield was demanded by Rodgers - so he cannot afford him to fail

It’s easy to evoke the image of Andy Carroll when discussing why Liverpool have signed Christian Benteke.

Like Carroll, Benteke is tall. He also good in the air, plays up front and is costing Liverpool in excess of £30million. Benteke may as well have a Geordie accent. Get that ‘separated at birth’ feature on standby.

Except the fact Benteke can run. Pretty fast. Which is a big difference. He is also capable of playing up front on his own and is more technically proficient than Carroll. In stark contrast to the West Ham striker, prior to his big money move to Anfield Benteke has a track record of scoring regularly in the Premier League rather than the Championship.

Benteke can also dribble, close down defenders and is an established international footballer – something Carroll was intended to become but has never managed due to persistent injury setbacks. We’ll take a wild stab in the dark and predict Benteke will arrive at Anfield in a more desirable state of health and fitness than Carroll in 2011.

In fact, compile a list of Carroll’s and Benteke’s assets upon their signing for Liverpool and beyond the 'being tall' bit, 'heading the ball' bit, the 'playing up front' bit and the 'costing a lot of money' bit, and you might conclude they are nothing like each other (presumably no photographs will appear on social media showing the Villa striker scouting Merseyside nightspots with Kevin Nolan).

Despite that, you can understand the scepticism when assessing any major Liverpool investment. Such are the suspicions after an inauspicious few decades in the transfer market, there is a tendency to focus on reasons why a deal will fail rather than succeed. This summer’s purchases are not just about correcting previous errors, but the reputation management of the recruiters.

Before this pre-season, Liverpool signed 23 players in the Brendan Rodgers era at a cost in excess of £200million. Going into this campaign, 13 of those have either gone or are in the process of having daily hints about where the exit gate is. Plenty of the remaining 10, meanwhile, have doubts as to how often they’ll play this season.

Each time a signing is made, the question of how much the manager wanted the player has been raised, neatly dividing those who don’t like Rodgers (he wanted all the players, say those preparing their ‘Klopp for The Kop’ campaign posters); those who have been described as Rodgers ‘apologists’ (he wanted the good ‘uns and none of the bad ‘uns); and those who understand the reality (he sanctioned and therefore shares responsibility with the ‘transfer committee’ for every deal but was more enthusiastic about some than others).

With Benteke there is a point of separation in that everyone at Liverpool is eager to underline the fact that his signing represents backing for the manager. Rodgers desperately wanted him, thought him to be worth £32.5million, and got him. There is no ambiguity.

If Benteke delivers, Rodgers will be vindicated. If not, he’ll be accountable. One suspects that’s exactly how he’d prefer it, standing and falling based on his own judgement rather than dutifully convincing himself of another’s assessment that the reserve full-back signed from Atletico Madrid is the next Dani Alves.

We must be cautious until we’ve seen Rodgers’s new look side play in the Premier League but it is evident in the warm-up games that the Liverpool manager has fixed his mind on his preferred system and found players who fit. It should prevent the constant changes in shape and personnel of last season.

We knew when Rodgers arrived at Anfield that he was a 4-3-3 man. He’s played it plenty of times, but never with consistency because the players didn’t suit it.

When blessed with Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge he was pragmatic enough to realise he needed to accommodate both in their most effective positions and the ‘diamond’ that almost won Liverpool the title was introduced.

Last season Rodgers admitted he was suffering from insomnia trying to work out how he was going to find a role for signings such as Emre Can, Lazar Markovic and Mario Balotelli in the same line-up. There was a period when playing three centre-halves worked, but by the end of the campaign Rodgers was criticised for changing shape too much.

Wherever the line is between being over-inventive and trying to be too clever, he’d crossed it. Rodgers’s mind appeared scrambled, often shifting formations after 20 minutes in games. Dr Steve Peters’ diary must have been full throughout June as Rodgers has returned to work determined to compartmentalise and bury all memories of last season.

No doubt there will be occasions when Rodgers will tinker again but his immediate ambition in August will be to ensure such constant meddling is no longer necessary, and the tactical conundrums will be encountered by opposing managers.

That will be intriguing when Sturridge returns to fitness, particularly if Benteke starts well and Liverpool perform without the England striker.

Even when he declares himself fit, it will take time for Sturridge to regain faith that another setback isn’t simply a few weeks away. It is inconceivable Rodgers will reshape a winning formula to accommodate the striker ever again as every injury means the chalkboard must take another hammering.

In Sturridge’s absence, Benteke joins Liverpool as the newly crowned number one striker. He is the signing most likely to determine Rodgers’ long-term fate at Anfield, the difference not just between the Merseyside club returning to the Champions League and being stuck in also-ran city, but also whether the manager survives his next May meeting with Mike Gordon and Tom Werner.

Andy Carroll’s failure ultimately cost the men who signed him their job. Regardless of whether the comparison with Benteke as a footballer stands up to scrutiny, Rodgers will be acutely aware that when you spend over £30million on a striker your fortunes are inextricably linked.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...Liverpool.html
Old 22-07-15, 09:23 PM   #29
Leyton388
aka liverpooltj

Welcome to LFC Chris.
Leyton388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-15, 09:24 PM   #30
Liverpel
Anything

Old 22-07-15, 09:24 PM   #31
Gibbo
Like a boss

Does any other team in the world chuck big money at players and consistently don't reach the CL as much as we do, I cant think of any.

Spurs maybe?
Old 22-07-15, 09:24 PM   #32
Phoenix07
The Normal One

Intrigued to see how he does. It's all dependent on his mentality, and how he adjusts to the pressures on him.

He'll still have 2 weeks before the Stoke game to train with the players back from tour. It'll be important for the players to realise he's not someone to just hoof it up to.

I also agree with Bascombe that with the fee and position he plays in, Benteke is a symbol of make or break for Rodgers.

Last edited by Phoenix07; 22-07-15 at 09:27 PM.
Phoenix07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-15, 09:27 PM   #33
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-15, 09:28 PM   #34
spud_gun
Paisley

Please don't be another Andy Carroll
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-15, 09:34 PM   #35
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Sell
captainfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-15, 09:34 PM   #36
cream
Paisley

Really happy about this and our transfer business as a whole, we seemed to have learned from past mistakes.

Will there be any icing on the cake? I think there could be...
Old 22-07-15, 09:37 PM   #37
Leyton388
aka liverpooltj

Absolutely fantastic transfer window for us. Let's just topbot off by signing a CB and selling the deadwood.
Leyton388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-15, 09:41 PM   #38
Liverpool
Paisley

im one week older than him, well thats depressing
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-15, 09:46 PM   #39
captainfog
Lord Anthony Rivers

Where the fuck is the lean?
captainfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-15, 09:48 PM   #40