It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Old 23-07-15, 06:31 AM   #81
vonk
Fagan

Some of the negativity on this thread is astounding. Plenty of half-arsed "I think he's shit, but hope he proves me wrong" fence-sitting shite. This is the kind of "support" Benteke can look forward to -

"Would be great if Utd sign him. He will improve them no doubt, but if he signs for us it's Carroll all over again. We need a striker with pace, a good pressing game, and someone who can contribute more in the style of build up play that we will see, rather than knockdowns all the way from Mignolet, Skrtel, and Sakhos boots."
vonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 23-07-15, 07:00 AM   #82
Assassin
Kloppite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Good stuff. I'm on his side now. Just waiting to be proved wrong. Imagine...if he punches his weight and we make it work for him here......could be fucking great. Even though I've not wanted him he's the right age, he's quick, strong as fuck, good in the air and scores goals. Those things can't be argued with. Good luck Big Chris
Great signing....This fella will be everything that Heskey should have been
Old 23-07-15, 07:23 AM   #83
cream
Paisley

It's a bit shit comparing him to Carroll, hes not a shithouse and a pisshead waster for a start...
Old 23-07-15, 07:59 AM   #84
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Big Chris did a spot of painting at home before coming to sign

He looks leaner and more athletic than I thought. Always imagined him to be a bit bulkier

I think he'll be a good signing. He's no Torres or Suarez at their peaks, but who is! I honestly can't think of anyone else we realistically could have got who's better. I'm pretty convinced he'll score a lot of goals for us.

We might need to adjust our style slightly but not as much as some others are suggesting.

Fingers crossed he gets off to a flyer against Stoke!
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-15, 08:12 AM   #85
McDermotX
Paisley

Old 23-07-15, 08:17 AM   #86
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonk View Post
Some of the negativity on this thread is astounding. Plenty of half-arsed "I think he's shit, but hope he proves me wrong" fence-sitting shite. This is the kind of "support" Benteke can look forward to -

"Would be great if Utd sign him. He will improve them no doubt, but if he signs for us it's Carroll all over again. We need a striker with pace, a good pressing game, and someone who can contribute more in the style of build up play that we will see, rather than knockdowns all the way from Mignolet, Skrtel, and Sakhos boots."
yeah there has been a bit of stick alright. Each to their own though, I think he'll be a great signing. Don't think i've ever seen LFC fans so unenthused buy a big money signing. But i'm sure those fans will give him 100% support and hope that he succeeds.

The expectation is different here to Villa & some players can buckle. Personally I think he'll get more chances and opportunities in front of goal... than he's ever got in his career.

Hopefully he can prove alot of people wrong. I do think the comparison's to Carroll and trying to make out that he's just a big lump target... are very harsh & wrong.

Last edited by danperkins; 23-07-15 at 08:19 AM.
danperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-15, 08:19 AM   #87
Darkon
Football Expert

Welcome to him, really looking forward to seeing him in action. I reckon he will get us ~15 goals, and I think we will start changing our play a bit now with Sterling gone and better linkage players being here now.

I think he can do well. Had hoped we would go for a quicker striker, but that's really only on the notion that I expect us keep playing similarly to what we did. I think we are in for a surprise tbh., and I think Benteke can do well.

I know it wasn't my first choice in strikers and especially at that price, but still that's the market today I guess. To many clubs have enough money to just shrug the shoulders. He can do well, especially if we've changed our win condition, and I firmly believe we have.
Darkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-15, 08:41 AM   #88
marcus50bucks
Niko Bellic

NSFW

Quote:
Christian Benteke doesn't excite Liverpool fans like Roberto Firmino even though 95 per cent have never seen him play, but I worry Belgian won't be suited to Reds style
  • Liverpool confirmed signing of Christian Benteke for £32.5m on Wednesday
  • Reds added Brazil international Roberto Firmino to their squad for £29m
  • Most Liverpool fans won't have seen Firmino play - YouTube doesn't count
  • But supporters are more excited by him than proven striker Benteke
  • Benteke has torn teams apart but we have also seen his touch go awry
  • I worry that he might not fit in with Brendan Rodgers' style of play
By JAMIE CARRAGHER FOR THE DAILY MAIL
PUBLISHED: 22:30, 22 July 2015 | UPDATED: 02:12, 23 July 2015

They are the men Brendan Rodgers believes will transform Liverpool’s goal return; two massive signings whose fortunes will define the new season.

The different reactions to the arrivals of Roberto Firmino and Christian Benteke, however, could not be more stark.

Though 95 per cent of Liverpool supporters have never seen Firmino in action — YouTube doesn’t count — they believe he is already on his way to becoming an icon.

He comes from Brazil, his style is similar to Luis Suarez’s and his form for Hoffenheim was brilliant, leaving fans saying: ‘Imagine what he’ll be like for us!’

That is the mystique of buying players from abroad. Firmino could well be another Suarez; he could also be another Alberto Aquilani.

Contrast that to Benteke, who has become the second-biggest signing in Liverpool’s history after scoring 42 goals in 89 Premier League appearances for Aston Villa, a team that has fought for survival in each of the three years he was there.

Only Sergio Aguero (55), Suarez (53) and Robin van Persie (44) have scored more in the top flight since he marked his debut with a goal against Swansea in September 2012.

Can you imagine what Liverpool fans would be saying about Firmino if the 32 goals he has scored in all competitions over the past two years for Hoffenheim — whose finishing positions were ninth and eighth — had come during a fight against the drop?

You can see what I am getting at. It has always fascinated me to see the reaction to those who are brought in from foreign leagues compared to when there is a transfer between Premier League clubs. There are no secrets about players in England. We know all there is to know.

So while we’ve been impressed by how Benteke has torn teams apart — Liverpool, against whom he scored five goals in six games, have really suffered — we also know when his touch has been poor and his lack of interest has been apparent. He can be devastating and infuriating in equal measure.

The hope at Liverpool is that surrounding him with better players will see him become even more devastating and consistent. I like him as a striker and actually think he would be great for Chelsea. Jose Mourinho likes that profile of forward and sets his teams up to get the best out of them.

My worry at Liverpool is, will he be suited to the short, sharp and incisive passing game that Rodgers favours? Brendan wants his side to play through teams, rather than getting the ball into him from wide areas, a fact Tim Sherwood pointed out as soon as Liverpool’s interest became public.

Parallels have already been drawn with Andy Carroll and people have pointed out that Rodgers wasted no time in getting rid of him but that decision had nothing to do with the fact that Carroll was a big man. It was purely down to him lacking pace and movement.

Those are qualities Benteke does not lack but his biggest problem at the moment, where a lot of Liverpool fans are concerned, is that they know him. He would have liked the welcome that Firmino has received, but in a few months a warm reception will count for nothing.

All that will matter is how many goals they have managed to score. That alone will determine how popular they become.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/art...eds-style.html
marcus50bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-15, 10:22 AM   #89
Slinky Skills
Micka "don't f*** with me" Wallace

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDermotX View Post

Always, keep your face to the sun, and shadows will fall behind you.
Slinky Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-15, 10:28 AM   #90
Maxiedge
Shankly

I was in the 'no' camp because I think when you've got £30m+ to spend, it's a fuckload of money, even in today's market. Did we trawl through every possibility in the European market? No, I don't believe we did. Benteke seemed to be first choice right from the start.

Saying all that, I'm happy with the signing mostly because he will be a massive presence to beef up our rather meek team from last season. That in itself is gold.
Maxiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-15, 10:43 AM   #91
Yozza
Shankly

I'm pleased because we haven't dilly dallied around like we did last year

We've targeted our man, paid the money & gone for him in a confident bold way

Whether or not he turns out to be is another matter but I like the way we've worked this summer

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-15, 10:44 AM   #92
Harv
Randy Marsh

who else is there available for 30m

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-15, 11:04 AM   #93
Maxiedge
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
who else is there available for 30m
I'd say about 95% of top flight strikers are available for £30m (whether or not they want to join us is another matter). Did we go through every possibility before settling on Benteke? No, I really don't believe we did but the manager wanted him as first choice so I'm glad we got him in that sense.
Old 23-07-15, 11:06 AM   #94
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiedge View Post
I'd say about 95% of top flight strikers are available for £30m (whether or not they want to join us is another matter). Did we go through every possibility before settling on Benteke? No, I really don't believe we did but the manager wanted him as first choice so I'm glad we got him in that sense.
Some fairly outlandish claims made here without any information to back them up. 95%? No scouting done?
Old 23-07-15, 11:13 AM   #95
Yozza
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Some fairly outlandish claims made here without any information to back them up. 95%? No scouting done?

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-15, 11:17 AM   #96
Maxiedge
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
I didn't say no scouting done, I said the scouting was probably limited as Benteke emerged as number 1 target and it seems this deal was always on from the start. I'm 100% sure that we're playing it safe here with the more established Premier League players criteria.

Do I have to back up every claim with precise statistical details? Was just saying that most top flight strikers are available for £30m. Don't see what's so outlandish about that?
Old 23-07-15, 12:01 PM   #97
Paddy
Out Patient

Apparently £16m upfront, with rest spread over the contract. I can live with that.

Maybe also a hint that we are still in the market for another big money buy?
Old 23-07-15, 12:10 PM   #98
Fierce
I'm only the bassist

!! BENTEKKERS !!

Old 23-07-15, 12:11 PM   #99
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

He does have a disproporately large swede doesn't he?!
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1

Curtis Julian Jones Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-15, 12:31 PM   #100
S-RED
Dalglish

[QUOTE=Paddy;3146393]Apparently £16m upfront, with rest spread over the contract. I can live with that.

QUOTE]

if that is correct, its a great deal
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 23-07-15, 12:33 PM   #101
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

If it is £16 million up top and then the rest spread out.... that is a very good deal.
Old 23-07-15, 12:36 PM   #102
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Surely £32m is £32m? It's not as if it's incentive based, so why does £16m + 4x £4m (or whatever) suddenly make it a great deal?
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-15, 12:38 PM   #103
Paddy
Out Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post
Surely £32m is £32m? It's not as if it's incentive based, so why does £16m + 4x £4m (or whatever) suddenly make it a great deal?
I'd prefer the club give Villa £4million a year for 4 years than buy 4 Luis Alberto/Borinis, even though they cost more than that.
Old 23-07-15, 12:39 PM   #104
McDermotX
Paisley

To be fair though......a lot of deals are structured in a similar vein. Probably more than ever these days to cook the books for FFP reasons etc

Regardless of whether he succeeds or fails (and is subsequently bounced out), we still have to pick up a tab of 32.5m.
If it makes people feel better, so be it, but it's only exciting for the accountants.
Old 23-07-15, 12:46 PM   #105
Fierce
I'm only the bassist

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDermotX View Post
To be fair though......a lot of deals are structured in a similar vein. Probably more than ever these days to cook the books for FFP reasons etc

Regardless of whether he succeeds or fails (and is subsequently bounced out), we still have to pick up a tab of 32.5m.
If it makes people feel better, so be it, but it's only exciting for the accountants.
It's obviously better if we don't have to pay everything at once, whether you're an accountant or not
Old 23-07-15, 12:51 PM   #106
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Why though? It's doesn't make him better value for money and we have absolutely no idea what impact it has on our current finances or ability to buy another player, so what is so obvious that I'm missing?
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-15, 12:57 PM   #107
Harv
Randy Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxiedge View Post
I didn't say no scouting done, I said the scouting was probably limited as Benteke emerged as number 1 target and it seems this deal was always on from the start. I'm 100% sure that we're playing it safe here with the more established Premier League players criteria.

Do I have to back up every claim with precise statistical details? Was just saying that most top flight strikers are available for £30m. Don't see what's so outlandish about that?
i very much doubt they would be. Who's a top flight striker you can think of, thats better than Benteke, that would be available.

"looking through your posts since 2007 and what you have consistently written about my football team I have come to the conclusion that if you had 1 more brain cell you would be a plant .. your father was a hamster and your mother smells of elder berries, I fart in your general direction ..." Nicey
Old 23-07-15, 01:06 PM   #108
Maxiedge
Shankly

Quote:
i very much doubt they would be. Who's a top flight striker you can think of, thats better than Benteke, that would be available.
I'm not going to name names. I'm not a stich

Anyway, how about Benzema, Martinez, Lacazette, Vietto, Bacca. They were all available and under £32.5m.

Anyway, my point, for the umpteenth time, is that £32.5m is a shed load of money that can buy you a super talented footballer. I think we've purchased more functional than talent.

I don't agree that we've bought Benteke because he's the best available at that price. I don't agree with that at all. I think it's more to do with Premier League proven and the manager's choice.

I'll say it again, that I'm happy the manager has got his number 1 target. There cant be any transparency anymore at the end of this season.
Old 23-07-15, 01:15 PM   #109
Harv
Randy Marsh

Benzema would be costing over 40m i reckon, otherwise Arsenal would've bought him already. Lacazette doesn't want to leave yet, Vietto was always going to Atleti to join that greasy slimeball Simeone, Bacca is no better than Benteke and older and Martinez seems very similar to Benteke and older and not used to the league.

Its not as clear cut as you and many others make it out to be.

Old 23-07-15, 01:17 PM   #110
SB
Paisley

Yeah there may or may not be foreign strikers available for ~£30m but there is no guarantee they'd adapt to the PL or if they'd join us either. At least Benteke knows the league & he's the managers choice. If he's going to be trusted to manage us he has to be able to buy who he wants & live or die by his decisions.
Old 23-07-15, 01:17 PM   #111
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Benzema would be costing over 40m i reckon, otherwise Arsenal would've bought him already. Lacazette doesn't want to leave yet, Vietto was always going to Atleti to join that greasy slimeball Simeone, Bacca is no better than Benteke and older and Martinez seems very similar to Benteke and older and not used to the league.

Its not as clear cut as you and many others make it out to be.
Exactly.

The Lacazette thing is nonsense. If he was so easily available for £30m he would have moved on ages ago!
Old 23-07-15, 01:25 PM   #112
Fierce
I'm only the bassist

Quote:
Why though? It's doesn't make him better value for money and we have absolutely no idea what impact it has on our current finances or ability to buy another player, so what is so obvious that I'm missing?
We don't have access to our Halifax Super Saver account no, but I think it's fair to say we're not exactly cash rich, so £16m in our account is a lot better than £16m in somebody else's account
Old 23-07-15, 01:36 PM   #113
Fivex
The Wisp

I can't believe someone wants us to trawl through every club making £30m offers for their prize strikers before we eventually resort the managers no.1 choice.
Old 23-07-15, 04:27 PM   #114
tanner
Dalglish

edit

Last edited by tanner; 23-07-15 at 04:29 PM.
tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-15, 04:28 PM   #115
Daniel 7
Heretic

Its not just that though. I'm astounded that people on a forum think that people who work for a top Premier League football club - one of the best in Europe - don't actually know about these top strikers and don't know about their willingness to move to a club that doesn't offer Champions League football. Its ridiculous. Do you really think Liverpool don't know if these players are willing to move to Liverpool?
Daniel 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-15, 04:29 PM   #116
tanner
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel 7 View Post
Its not just that though. I'm astounded that people on a forum think that people who work for a top Premier League football club - one of the best in Europe - don't actually know about these top strikers and don't know about their willingness to move to a club that doesn't offer Champions League football. Its ridiculous. Do you really think Liverpool don't know if these players are willing to move to Liverpool?
To be fair, our owners didn't even know we existed before they were put on to us.
Old 23-07-15, 04:30 PM   #117
Daniel 7
Heretic

I have a good feeling about this transfer. Just watch that goal he scored last season where he curled it into the top corner, or that nuts scissor kick he scored against Norwich - these aren't the goals of a lumbering oaf like Andy Carroll - these are the goals of a talented footballer. He'll kick on with Liverpool.
Old 23-07-15, 04:31 PM   #118
Daniel 7
Heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner View Post
To be fair, our owners didn't even know we existed before they were put on to us.
So John Henry is our leading scout is he? He's doing player recruitment for Liverpool as well as running the Red Sox and some racing team?
Old 23-07-15, 04:33 PM   #119
tanner
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel 7 View Post
So John Henry is our leading scout is he? He's doing player recruitment for Liverpool as well as running the Red Sox and some racing team?
It obviously wasn't serious

Lighten up!
Old 23-07-15, 04:34 PM   #120
Daniel 7
Heretic

Sorry. I have a headache.

est1892 > Football > General Football