It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 06-01-21, 02:23 PM   #961
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Yeah I do think he's gone alright, just hope he can still put in top performances until the seasons end. Gutted to lose him to be honest, he's a fabulous player.
Old 06-01-21, 02:27 PM   #962
spud_gun
Paisley

He's free to sign a pre contract agreement with a non English club isn't he?
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-21, 02:28 PM   #963
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
He's free to sign a pre contract agreement with a non English club isn't he?
Yes, from the start of Jan, although he supposedly said he wouldn't talk to other clubs while still talking to us or something like that.
Old 06-01-21, 02:31 PM   #964
Scratch
If you fail once....

Be a fool to sign a pre-contract with Barca tho, cos I feel that Koeman wouldn't be there in the summer, so if he's wanting that link-up he'd be better off seeing where Koeman goes next?!
Old 06-01-21, 02:41 PM   #965
frank the tank
Shankly

if he gets a bad injury, then he could get nothing. So he could potentially be looking at a 30m loss there. His advisors will be all over him to sign a contract with someone.

I hope his form doesn't drop once he does sign with someone else.
frank the tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-21, 10:35 AM   #966
BG1973
Fagan

What a shit situation for everyone. Been a legend.
BG1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-21, 12:18 PM   #967
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG1973 View Post
What a shit situation for everyone. Been a legend.
True, but each season we should be looking to replace/upgrade at least one player from the first eleven... if they all hit 30+ at the same time, we'll be scrambling to do a complete rebuild. Rather lose one or two key players a season if we can replace them with someone better or younger, preferably both... not sure Alaba ticks the second box on that criteria. Awesome player though and versatile to boot. He would be a decent replacement, at least in the short-term (2-3 years)
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-21, 12:27 PM   #968
Paul12
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
True, but each season we should be looking to replace/upgrade at least one player from the first eleven... if they all hit 30+ at the same time, we'll be scrambling to do a complete rebuild. Rather lose one or two key players a season if we can replace them with someone better or younger, preferably both...

Bob Paisley always looked to replace 2 or 3. Our downfall began when Kenny didn't do that and instead allowed the team grew old (and too old) together.
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-21, 02:25 PM   #969
BG1973
Fagan

Just hope he realises how valued he is by the fans. Shame nobody in the stadium to tell him.
Old 11-01-21, 02:38 PM   #970
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

He's sung about more than Hendo, Alisson or Trent. Not sure players take that much notice of the crowd
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-21, 02:41 PM   #971
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

I don't think he's looking for love tbh.
Old 11-01-21, 03:41 PM   #972
BG1973
Fagan

No, but looks like he's going to leave under a cloud feeling abut undervalued.
Old 11-01-21, 09:34 PM   #973
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul12 View Post

Bob Paisley always looked to replace 2 or 3. Our downfall began when Kenny didn't do that and instead allowed the team grew old (and too old) together.

Kenny liked to spend IIRC. I think his judgement went a bit towards the end when we were signing the likes of David Speedie though.

Maybe not surprising all things considered.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-21, 09:36 AM   #974
Tribute
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG1973 View Post
No, but looks like he's going to leave under a cloud feeling abut undervalued.
...he might feel undervalued by the hierarchy at the club, but I'm sure he doesn't think that about the fans, manager and backroom staff... he always comes across like he's proper entrenched in the fabric of those groups.

This is a commercial decision more than anything. He needs one last payday and as much as he wants to stay, he also wants serious wedge and a long-term contract... it's a crossroads. The club don't value him to the extent he wants. He'll see it as some kind of 'loyalty contract' for services rendered and the club will be looking at younger, cheaper, longer-term replacements to benefit the team and club. The last chunky contract is always the toughest one to negotiate or come to terms with...
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-21, 10:01 AM   #975
S-RED
Dalglish

I get that he wants to maximize his earnings, but once you get to a certain point (5 mill PA), surely it would become more about on-field success?

He seems to be an intelligent guy, so it cannot be an agent lead thing?

That said, perhaps he just wants to sample a couple of seasons in Spain or Italy?
S-RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-21, 08:02 PM   #976
BG1973
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
...he might feel undervalued by the hierarchy at the club, but I'm sure he doesn't think that about the fans, manager and backroom staff... he always comes across like he's proper entrenched in the fabric of those groups.

This is a commercial decision more than anything. He needs one last payday and as much as he wants to stay, he also wants serious wedge and a long-term contract... it's a crossroads. The club don't value him to the extent he wants. He'll see it as some kind of 'loyalty contract' for services rendered and the club will be looking at younger, cheaper, longer-term replacements to benefit the team and club. The last chunky contract is always the toughest one to negotiate or come to terms with...
Yeah hope he does realise what we all think of him. Would hate for him to leave feeling anything other than a superstar which is what's he's been. Hence my note about pity fans not in grounds to let him know all that.

Whatever happens, legend.
Old 13-01-21, 09:49 AM   #977
Exiled_red
Paisley

I think there is more to it than money. According to reports we first offered him a contract 18 months ago that would double his 75k a week wages to 150k. If his contract runs to the end without signing a new one that decision not to sign has cost him 7.5m in lost wages (equivalent to a year's salary at 150k), supposedly the dispute between him and the club is over an extra year, he wants 4 years we offered 3.
Old 13-01-21, 10:05 AM   #978
Fivex
The Wisp

Has he got kids? Who knows, could be over schooling or something
Old 13-01-21, 10:54 AM   #979
Roboklopp
Cuboid Humanoid

Surely England is now a less attractive place if you’ve family back in the EU? I mean, it’s a far less attractive place for me post Brexit and my family is here.

My missus is already experiencing issues with practicalities regarding her own family back in Estonia, even after ignoring my arguably subjective take on the issue.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC