It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 04-01-21, 11:36 PM   #961
labourRed
Shankly

Should be dropped by now. But the back up opportunities aren't great. I'd prefer Neco making mistakes than Milner though.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-21, 11:38 PM   #962
Exiled_red
Paisley

Definitely needs to have a break/rest/be dropped whatever you want to call it. Get him out of the side, have a break and come back refreshed. He's still young and has played a hell of a lot of football over the last few years
Old 04-01-21, 11:39 PM   #963
BootRoom
Fagan

He's always given the ball away but usually mixes it in with sublime passes and tremendous forward play. He's never been the greatest out-and-out defender anyway, so when the attacking part of his play breaks down, as seems to be the case at the moment, he looks average-to-poor.
BootRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 12:14 AM   #964
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootRoom View Post
He's always given the ball away but usually mixes it in with sublime passes and tremendous forward play. He's never been the greatest out-and-out defender anyway, so when the attacking part of his play breaks down, as seems to be the case at the moment, he looks average-to-poor.
Old 05-01-21, 09:38 AM   #965
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

He was pretty terrible last night... but... our shape and midfield didn't help him.

Usually, a strong pattern of play involves Henderson (when in midfield) to drop deep or usually Gini dropping and going wide, giving TAA a simple out ball. That wasn't happening last night - Thiago was fairly static, was usually covered and didn't drop as deep as Hendo/Fabinho does, and less said about Ox the better but his positioning was awful and hardly ever gave TAA an easy outball to the side.

So while the lad is clearly totally out of form, the formation and the other players didn't help him.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1

Curtis Julian Jones Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 09:55 AM   #966
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
He was pretty terrible last night... but... our shape and midfield didn't help him.

Usually, a strong pattern of play involves Henderson (when in midfield) to drop deep or usually Gini dropping and going wide, giving TAA a simple out ball. That wasn't happening last night - Thiago was fairly static, was usually covered and didn't drop as deep as Hendo/Fabinho does, and less said about Ox the better but his positioning was awful and hardly ever gave TAA an easy outball to the side.

So while the lad is clearly totally out of form, the formation and the other players didn't help him.
I think the midfield was missing Henderson in the first half in particular and that contributed to our problems then but there are other issues too.
Old 05-01-21, 01:06 PM   #967
Paul12
Benitez

Just looks totally exhausted to me.
Paul12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 01:55 PM   #968
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

If it's exhaustion, it's a mental thing.
Old 05-01-21, 02:05 PM   #969
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
If it's exhaustion, it's a mental thing.
If you're a doctor then we're fucked
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 02:09 PM   #970
Fredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbs View Post
If you're a doctor then we're fucked

Players are thoroughbreds and Trent has had time "off" through injury. I don't think it's physical exhaustion his problem. His running levels seems to be fine to me. His problem is he's been sloppy and not playing the right ball or trying complicated passes which ended in the opponents feet. Maybe he thinks he's too good?

He's still a young player at 22 to be fair to him.
Old 05-01-21, 02:13 PM   #971
Fredo

I'm pretty sure if he wasn't up to a level of being able to play, he wouldn't have been anywhere near that starting line up. This is not his problem. He's 22, has dips and is in the middle of one. It's exacerbated by other players being in the same situation. Doesn't help the world is fucked everwhere else.
Old 05-01-21, 02:18 PM   #972
wiw
Paisley

He's being pressed higher - you can see it on both wings with both the fullbacks and the two forwards. As soon as Robertson or Trent receive the ball they have someone sprinting towards them, the inside pass is cut off, so he's having to go long and/or aimless. I think we need to adjust how to build up attacks
Old 05-01-21, 02:38 PM   #973
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiw View Post
He's being pressed higher - you can see it on both wings with both the fullbacks and the two forwards. As soon as Robertson or Trent receive the ball they have someone sprinting towards them, the inside pass is cut off, so he's having to go long and/or aimless. I think we need to adjust how to build up attacks
You can clearly see this as a strategy used by opponents now - people are closing him down all the time and his ability to playmake from RB is being compromised. The amount of aimless lofted balls he played last night was shocking for such a renowned passer
Irishnev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 02:42 PM   #974
Fredo

Quote:
Good point. I did notice that our centre backs are being pressed a bit more as well. Seen this especially at Newcastle, but that might have been due to Phillips playing there, so our building up play wasn't great.

Southampton had so many bodies in their own penalty area last night that I think we ran out of ideas to play through that and rushed our crosses and passes.
Old 05-01-21, 02:43 PM   #975
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
You can clearly see this as a strategy used by opponents now - people are closing him down all the time and his ability to playmake from RB is being compromised. The amount of aimless lofted balls he played last night was shocking for such a renowned passer
Its a bit of a worry that this is happening and there is not much change of tactics from klopp.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 02:45 PM   #976
Fredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
Its a bit of a worry that this is happening and there is not much change of tactics from klopp.
Lump it behind their lines?

Half time you could see the instructions worked last night, for 15 minutes we were very good but could not press our domination at that point in goals.
Old 05-01-21, 02:57 PM   #977
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Quote:
it's got so predictable. Aimless sideways and backwards passes & that punt over the top is infuriating (Hendo and Trent both guilty of it). Mo has suffered this season as Trent is not getting as high up the pitch as he used to. Robbo is getting to the byline several times in most games but teams are just packing the box, but has been our best player this season. He looks sharp and fit whereas Trent looks lazy and lethargic.

Teams have figured out how to stop our fullback outlets which seems to be a majority of our creativity & our front 3 look blunt, we need to look to having more creativity in from other others of the pitch. I think that's why Jota had such a huge impact as he was an unknown and is so unpredictable. Trent's defensive frailties were always overlooked because his offensive output was off the charts. Now that he is not producing anything going forward, it has put the focus on his weaker aspects.

Last edited by danperkins; 05-01-21 at 03:03 PM.
danperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 03:01 PM   #978
wiw
Paisley

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
Good point. I did notice that our centre backs are being pressed a bit more as well. Seen this especially at Newcastle, but that might have been due to Phillips playing there, so our building up play wasn't great.

Southampton had so many bodies in their own penalty area last night that I think we ran out of ideas to play through that and rushed our crosses and passes.

Teams know how dangerous we are once we bypass a press or play quickly, so their main aim is to stop that - either through high pressing or sitting back. Both happen and both are effective against us at the moment. We're having to work really hard to build any kind of attack. It's not helped by the other team seemingly having free reign to take turns hacking us down and/or wrestling us without being punished.

I've seen it referenced quite a few times how players say "give it to Fabinho and he'll sort it" or words to that effect - he's an excellent CB but I think our play through midfield is really suffering without him being there. Seen loads of people mention this too, but I don't think we can underestimate how much we're missing Van Dijk's ability to ping it to Salah's toe from 60 yards as well. All of these things add up. I'm still pissed off at Everton to be honest
Old 05-01-21, 03:03 PM   #979
wiw
Paisley

Quote:
One thing I love about our coaching staff - be it a gap in the squad, a problem with our playing style etc - if we as fans are aware of it, they sure as shit are too and working on fixing it
Old 05-01-21, 03:43 PM   #980
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
One thing I love about our coaching staff - be it a gap in the squad, a problem with our playing style etc - if we as fans are aware of it, they sure as shit are too and working on fixing it
Im sure the coaches have seen how teams are better organising themselves to cope with our game plan and snuffing us out.
Now we need to see some better variations to our in game tactics rather than just continue to bounce off the other side.
The chipped crosses to salah and firmino are very unlikely to produce anything and scream of desperation.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 03:59 PM   #981
wiw
Paisley

Quote:
Im sure the coaches have seen how teams are better organising themselves to cope with our game plan and snuffing us out.
Now we need to see some better variations to our in game tactics rather than just continue to bounce off the other side.
The chipped crosses to salah and firmino are very unlikely to produce anything and scream of desperation.

I'm sure we will see improvement.
Old 05-01-21, 04:56 PM   #982
Irishnev
Shankly

Quote:

Teams know how dangerous we are once we bypass a press or play quickly, so their main aim is to stop that - either through high pressing or sitting back. Both happen and both are effective against us at the moment. We're having to work really hard to build any kind of attack. It's not helped by the other team seemingly having free reign to take turns hacking us down and/or wrestling us without being punished.

I've seen it referenced quite a few times how players say "give it to Fabinho and he'll sort it" or words to that effect - he's an excellent CB but I think our play through midfield is really suffering without him being there. Seen loads of people mention this too, but I don't think we can underestimate how much we're missing Van Dijk's ability to ping it to Salah's toe from 60 yards as well. All of these things add up. I'm still pissed off at Everton to be honest
I still blame fucking T-Rex for most of our problems this season
Irishnev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-21, 04:58 PM   #983
Fierce
I'm only the bassist

Strikes me Thiago and Jota, looking at what they bring to the team, were specifically bought to give us an alternative attacking threat

We've said for years that we lack creativity in the middle of the pitch. Having insanely fast and aggressive wide forwards has gotten us where we are now, and as they're almost impossible to stop it stands to reason that opposition teams would try and not let them get the ball

I think Curtis Jones has done really well but if you have a luxury player like him or Thiago, you need both an all rounder and a more defensively minded midfielder. Ie Henderson or Fabinho. Neither of whom, like Thiago and Jota, have been available anywhere near enough this season
Old 06-01-21, 08:43 AM   #984
El Diego
Dalglish

Just needs a break to be honest, I would be playing Milner for a while.
I think it's a foul, and if the ref gives it. He got to give a penalty. I know it's outside the box, but you see them given that close to the area. So if the ref gives it he's got to give the penalty as it so close to the area. But I think it's a penalty. Robbie Savage 8/11/06

Are you watching Manchester United? Are you watching Chelsea? This is Liverpool F.C taking over the bloody world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
El Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-21, 02:59 PM   #985
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

I see Klopp has now confirmed he had covid in pre-season. Until now it was just a rumour, although pretty obvious.

Same applies to Alison IMO.

I really do think there could be something in the long-covid idea, 1 in 10 suffer from it.

Anyway rest him now ahead of the Man utd game on Jan 17th.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-21, 03:32 PM   #986
BigChief
Paisley

We have so much luck (and corruption) against us. How we still managed to get a league title is unreal. CB injuries and thuggery not enough we also have our players falling to a fecking pandemic as we were about to rule the world for longer. There is definitely something not right about TAA and Mane. Maybe Salah too?
Old 07-01-21, 03:40 PM   #987
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierce View Post
Strikes me Thiago and Jota, looking at what they bring to the team, were specifically bought to give us an alternative attacking threat

We've said for years that we lack creativity in the middle of the pitch. Having insanely fast and aggressive wide forwards has gotten us where we are now, and as they're almost impossible to stop it stands to reason that opposition teams would try and not let them get the ball

I think Curtis Jones has done really well but if you have a luxury player like him or Thiago, you need both an all rounder and a more defensively minded midfielder. Ie Henderson or Fabinho. Neither of whom, like Thiago and Jota, have been available anywhere near enough this season

Yep That would my thinking. They were brought in to offer alternative ways of progressing our play and make it more difficult for other teams to shut us down as a result.

Losing our two starting centre backs, both of whom are great at bring the ball forward be it through excellent long range passing (VVD) or speedy advancing woth the ball (Joe), and losing our stability/solidity in the centre in Fab when he moved to the back line, on top of Thiago and Diogo both being out meant we had no real quality and incisive transistion of play up the centre of our team forcing our play to go through the full backs more and more and allowing other teams the luxury of having less avenues of progression to block.

Put Joe and VVD back into our team and push Fab back into the centre and suddenly we have players that create space and that will force the other team to move men into other channels and then we can switch between ging down our flanks and/or through our centre with the other team not being able to overload or press in numbers for fear of allowing our quality to hurt them down the other flank or through the centre.

I think Klopp has been horribly unlucky in that he had already figured out how other teams were going to try and stop us and brought in the players he needed to counter that, only to lose his new players through injury and lose a crazy number of our otehr first teamers either through injury or having to play them out of position. All things considered, Klopp and his team have done so well this season to be in the position they are currently sitting in.
And if she sees you here, she gonna cut you through

Last edited by Jaco_Pastorious; 07-01-21 at 03:42 PM.
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-21, 05:14 PM   #988
Mr Pink
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post
All things considered, Klopp and his team have done so well this season to be in the position they are currently sitting in.
We are in a great position- at the top of the league and topped the CL group... when you consider the injuries we have had, that’s amazing...

BUT.... the frustrating thing is that we should have one hand on the league by now... when you look at our hard games on paper- chelsea away (before they crumbled), arsenal at home(before they crumbled) Everton away, city away, spurs at home... we were the better team in all them (maybe the city one is debatable), played with real champions form... then look at the games where we’ve been dropping points, and you’d say that our injury list is no excuse... I think we can still go on a run and pull it out of the bag but if we don’t win it, we’re gonna be cursing the games against Fulham, west brom, Brighton etc etc etc...
Old 07-01-21, 06:38 PM   #989
Fredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
I see Klopp has now confirmed he had covid in pre-season. Until now it was just a rumour, although pretty obvious.

Same applies to Alison IMO.

I really do think there could be something in the long-covid idea, 1 in 10 suffer from it.

Anyway rest him now ahead of the Man utd game on Jan 17th.
I don't think it would be a long covid issue with him. I mean, physically he looks fine. He's had a bit of a stop / start season due to missing pre season and getting a thigh injury, so probably needs games to get his mojo back.
Old 07-01-21, 06:58 PM   #990
vlahka
Still sulking...

He doesnt look tired. He's just playing shit. There were a few times in the previous game where someone made a run forward, Salah or Firmino cant remember, and instead of passing upwards which was a clear through on the side, he passed back. Theres too much caution. Even Robertson is passing back almost every time he gets the ball.
vlahka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 12:03 PM   #991
greenturnip
Benitez

Yeah - we've lost a bit of confidence. As the saying goes, confidence takes a long time to build but can be lost quickly.
greenturnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-21, 11:24 PM   #992
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChief View Post
Agree with this. My 18 year old daughter has long covid since March and is barely living at 40% of her full capacity. Same with our 14 year old neighbour. Maybe athletes can compensate but I've heard marathon runners, etc, be reduced to being knackered after a 5 minute jog.

On this note I'm worried about Mane too. He doesn't have that same pizzazz to his game. Full backs are finding it easier than they should against him.
Sorry to hear that mate. Hope she’s on the mend !
Old 09-01-21, 03:02 AM   #993
BigChief
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB View Post
Sorry to hear that mate. Hope she’s on the mend !
Thanks mate. The only hope is there is no long term damage. We'll only find that out in years to come.
Old 09-01-21, 05:12 AM   #994
SB
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChief View Post
Thanks mate. The only hope is there is no long term damage. We'll only find that out in years to come.
here’s hoping then

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC