It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 16-03-21, 12:04 AM   #241
Pepe79
Shankly

Anyone remember his Dad, Jimmy Phillips playing for Bolton?

Canít say I do. He played against us in the 1995 League Cup Final.
(Right in pic)

Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-21, 12:23 AM   #242
fah-q
Touching cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
No way, more likely to be £7k a week
fah-q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-21, 12:23 AM   #243
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe79 View Post
Anyone remember his Dad, Jimmy Phillips playing for Bolton?

Can’t say I do. He played against us in the 1995 League Cup Final.
(Right in pic)

Yes. Busy little player. There was a time I could reel off 10 to 15 players from every team in the league. I loved football in the 80's and 90's. Obsessive almost.

Bruce Rioch and Bergsson who also played for spurs.
Old 16-03-21, 12:44 AM   #244
rudedog
Pig hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post
Yes. Busy little player. There was a time I could reel off 10 to 15 players from every team in the league. I loved football in the 80's and 90's. Obsessive almost.

That's the kind of player knowledge you can only get from completing the Panini sticker books every year

Can still remember needing John Colhoun to finish off my 1987/88 book

Last edited by rudedog; 16-03-21 at 12:47 AM.
rudedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-21, 08:14 AM   #245
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCharmer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog View Post
That's the kind of player knowledge you can only get from completing the Panini sticker books every year
Same. And reading the encyclopaedic Rothmans Football Yearbook every single year.
Old 16-03-21, 12:33 PM   #246
The_weatherman
Smug

Gudni Bergson is actually Nat's godfather A fact repeatedly spouted in Icelandic media these days.
Old 16-03-21, 02:33 PM   #247
Angryred
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_weatherman View Post
Gudni Bergson is actually Nat's godfather A fact repeatedly spouted in Icelandic media these days.
So Nat's a Bergsson Godson who is Phillips' son...just trying to start summat...feel free to assist!
Old 16-03-21, 03:07 PM   #248
McDermotX
Paisley

Old 16-03-21, 03:13 PM   #249
baitman
Daddy day care

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDermotX View Post

Blunt force trauma to the foot

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-21, 03:37 PM   #250
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
Old 16-03-21, 03:38 PM   #251
Fivex
The Wisp

Old 16-03-21, 07:45 PM   #252
dizzycat
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitman View Post
Old 19-03-21, 09:25 AM   #253
The_weatherman
Smug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angryred View Post
So Nat's a Bergsson Godson who is Phillips' son...just trying to start summat...feel free to assist!
No, you nailed it
Old 04-04-21, 10:21 PM   #254
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Every bit of praise I've given him has come with a caveat but I must say that caveat is diminishing all the time. I don't think he'll ever be top class but it's remarkable how much he's improved with a run of games and growing confidence. Safe to say he's exceeded every single one of our expectations. He's reached a point where we either sell for a fee far in excess of what we could ever have dreamed of, or keep him because......he's good?
Old 04-04-21, 10:38 PM   #255
fah-q
Touching cloth

Minus the goal threat he’s better than Slabhead
fah-q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-21, 12:05 AM   #256
Charly
Dalglish

I missed the game, but from what I have seen he is very solid in the air, perhaps more so than the others (maybe not Matip). This for me makes him a good stand in for VVD (as ridiculous as that sounds). We have a the rest of the season to judge both. But they have done great, all things considered.

Whos that other bloke we bought, again?
Old 05-04-21, 12:10 AM   #257
Liverpool
Paisley

If Klopp had faith in him rather than last resort and kept Henderson/Fabinho in midfield we'd have top 4 wrapped up already
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-21, 12:23 AM   #258
Charly
Dalglish

I agree.
Old 05-04-21, 04:26 AM   #259
topscorer
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverpool View Post
If Klopp had faith in him rather than last resort and kept Henderson/Fabinho in midfield we'd have top 4 wrapped up already

Maybe the issue wasn't a lack of faith but an opinion that he wasn't ready until now.

After several months of training with the first team preparing him now Klopp thinks he's ready.

It's possible that we would be in an even worse position than we have been if he had been played before he was ready.
topscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-21, 06:53 AM   #260
npinn001
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by topscorer View Post
Maybe the issue wasn't a lack of faith but an opinion that he wasn't ready until now.

After several months of training with the first team preparing him now Klopp thinks he's ready.

It's possible that we would be in an even worse position than we have been if he had been played before he was ready.
I think that's right. Klopp gets it right more than he gets it wrong. If we hit form now, we should take 4th.

Sent from my Mi 10 using Tapatalk
npinn001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-21, 08:04 AM   #261
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by topscorer View Post

Good shout
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-21, 08:21 AM   #262
Fredo
Not to be taken seriously

He still has a mistake in him, but I like him.
Old 07-04-21, 07:29 AM   #263
Fredo

Not sure why his thread wasnít bumped last night as he had a hand with at least two of the goals Madrid scored. Heís not good enough at this level. Seems to always be on the stretch and is always a split second late in reacting to things.

But letís blame Keita instead.
Old 07-04-21, 07:32 AM   #264
BobTheCharmer
Pantomime Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
Not sure why his thread wasnít bumped last night as he had a hand with at least two of the goals Madrid scored. Heís not good enough at this level. Seems to always be on the stretch and is always a split second late in reacting to things.

Haha. Keita is a 50m player and is next to useless more often than not. This lad has been brilliant for us, playing above his level. Last night he wasn't good enough on this type if stage, he didn't stop trying though. He doesn't claim to be the best. We all know he's not. Be an absolute cunts trick to lay blame at Nats feet.
Old 07-04-21, 07:41 AM   #265
Fredo

Heís a great lad. Letís play him on that basis.
Old 07-04-21, 07:41 AM   #266
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post

To be fair we all know that he is a limited player, and better players than him have been shown up by Real Madrid. Personally I don't think the first goal was a mistake, at it was a quality move and the striker still had alot to do, at worst I would say it was naive, but the sort of thing you might expect when playing your 6th choice CB The 3rd goal yes he should have got closer, he had a tough night against a top quality side but he still made a number of good challenges and didn't hide.
Old 07-04-21, 08:42 AM   #267
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
To be fair we all know that he is a limited player, and better players than him have been shown up by Real Madrid. Personally I don't think the first goal was a mistake, at it was a quality move and the striker still had alot to do, at worst I would say it was naive, but the sort of thing you might expect when playing your 6th choice CB The 3rd goal yes he should have got closer, he had a tough night against a top quality side but he still made a number of good challenges and didn't hide.
I understand Fredoís point though that he isnít singled out as some of other whipping boys. Itís not Natís fault as these are quality and can expose his weaknesses
Old 07-04-21, 08:45 AM   #268
Fredo

I donít want to single out any of our players to be honest, but seems itís a habit in here after each bad game. This bump was for consistencyís sake.
Old 07-04-21, 08:58 AM   #269
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
I understand Fredoís point though that he isnít singled out as some of other whipping boys. Itís not Natís fault as these are quality and can expose his weaknesses
I'm probably on my own here but the mistake (for the 3rd) aside I thought he had a decent game.Yes he was naive at times but there was some good defending in there too, there were at least a couple of big blocks, clearances and challenges that denied Madrid more opportunities. If we are ranking players from best to worst for me he's somewhere in the middle (perhaps that's generous I don't know) but IMO there were at least 3 or 4 of our senior players who had worse games than him, that said no-one had a good game. But the form of all of the guys in midfield and Mane plus one or two others is more of a concern to me at the moment
Old 07-04-21, 09:14 AM   #270
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Trent, Keita, Mane, Gini, Fab all had a hell of lot worse games than Philips. Even if I feel he isn't the level required our CB's got zero protection from that midfield.
Old 07-04-21, 09:20 AM   #271
Rich
Est1892's Fire Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by danperkins View Post
Trent, Keita, Mane, Gini, Fab all had a hell of lot worse games than Philips. Even if I feel he isn't the level required our CB's got zero protection from that midfield.

Nah, Iím not buying that. Everybody was crap first half but Gini and Fabinho picked up in the second. Phillipsí positioning wasnít great last night BUT he was up against some proper players. Not his fault that he isnít a top class CB.
James Philip Milner Fanclub #1

Curtis Julian Jones Fanclub #1
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-21, 09:24 AM   #272
spud_gun
Paisley

As has been mentioned previously it's about levels.

Phillips is a stop gap centre back who has filled in admirably when called upon in the league this season. To expect Phillips to be able to elevate his game to the highest of European standards is unrealistic.

Keita on the other hand cost 50m and was touted as one of the best midfield prospects in Europe during his time at Lipzieg. Based on his price tag and previous form to expect Keita to put in a performance in a game like last night isn't unrealistic.
spud_gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-21, 09:49 AM   #273
BigChief
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud_gun View Post
As has been mentioned previously it's about levels.

Phillips is a stop gap centre back who has filled in admirably when called upon in the league this season. To expect Phillips to be able to elevate his game to the highest of European standards is unrealistic.

Keita on the other hand cost 50m and was touted as one of the best midfield prospects in Europe during his time at Lipzieg. Based on his price tag and previous form to expect Keita to put in a performance in a game like last night isn't unrealistic.
Totally agree. Nat performed admirably to his level last night. Keita didn't. Expecting him to come good is like putting lipzieg on a pig.
Old 07-04-21, 11:06 AM   #274
Irishnev
Paisley

Quote:
I'm probably on my own here but the mistake (for the 3rd) aside I thought he had a decent game.Yes he was naive at times but there was some good defending in there too, there were at least a couple of big blocks, clearances and challenges that denied Madrid more opportunities. If we are ranking players from best to worst for me he's somewhere in the middle (perhaps that's generous I don't know) but IMO there were at least 3 or 4 of our senior players who had worse games than him, that said no-one had a good game. But the form of all of the guys in midfield and Mane plus one or two others is more of a concern to me at the moment
I agree but it showed that he was clearly out of his depth - pace and movement kill him. Again I repeat this is not his fault as he was t expected to play these games - he had no protection from midfield and Kabak beside him was a bit better but not great either.

He’s a great lad but this idea of keeping him as our 4th CB isn’t working for me. There should be no room for sentiment and we might get a few quid for him in the summer.
Old 07-04-21, 11:19 AM   #275
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
I agree but it showed that he was clearly out of his depth - pace and movement kill him. Again I repeat this is not his fault as he was t expected to play these games - he had no protection from midfield and Kabak beside him was a bit better but not great either.

Heís a great lad but this idea of keeping him as our 4th CB isnít working for me. There should be no room for sentiment and we might get a few quid for him in the summer.

His biggest weakness for me is not his lack of pace. For me it is his reading of the game. Time after time against lesser teams he goes on trots out of position but we tend to get away with it more often than not and he just trots back, but last night he did it against quality players and it was punished.

He had no help at all from senior players that played even worse than him last night, but he is a stop gap until the summer and nothing else. Been my opinion on him when he came into the team and nothing has changed.

However even though he is not good enough at a higher level, the one thing I will give him credit for is the fact he would keep dusting himself down and trying.

Mad thing is that again last night he reminded me so much of an 80 million pound defender who is also pretty crap when it comes to positioning and prone to looking clumsy/slow on the ball. Think he should be looking at Maguire and thinking to himself that he could have a decent PL career in a more defensive minded team.
Old 07-04-21, 11:32 AM   #276
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

He’s been brilliant, but we are talking about a rookie playing in elite level football, there has not been a single bit of evidence that Phillips is set for a career at one of the top 8 clubs in Europe. He is playing now in the last 8 and finds himself a little bit out of his depth, not a lot, but enough. The games where he has looked good are the ones where the midfield has protected him, last night the midfield was over run. But, and this says a lot about him, he fronts up every game and does his best. I think he might have a taste for first team football and in a team with less expansive ambition he will definitely do well. Mentally he seems to have what it takes.
Old 07-04-21, 05:16 PM   #277
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:

Heís a great lad but this idea of keeping him as our 4th CB isnít working for me. There should be no room for sentiment and we might get a few quid for him in the summer.
The champions league and games against the likes of Madrid are with all due respect a level beyond him, to be honest he's probably a mid table PL CB at best who has been punching above his weight. Taking that into account as I say I don't think his performance was terrible.

Regarding the future for him, he's going to get games between now and the end of the season. But I've said before if he stays he's 5th or 6th choice, he's at an age where he needs games, he's shown what he can do but I think it's probably best for everyone if he leaves in the summer. With what he has done he could leave with his head held high.
Old 07-04-21, 05:42 PM   #278
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
The champions league and games against the likes of Madrid are with all due respect a level beyond him, to be honest he's probably a mid table PL CB at best who has been punching above his weight. Taking that into account as I say I don't think his performance was terrible.

Regarding the future for him, he's going to get games between now and the end of the season. But I've said before if he stays he's 5th or 6th choice, he's at an age where he needs games, he's shown what he can do but I think it's probably best for everyone if he leaves in the summer. With what he has done he could leave with his head held high.

Yep at 24 you would be expecting, as a pro footballer, to be playing regular football and having a decent number of games already played in your career.

We have a few guys in a similar boat to him at present in around that close to 24 or 25 mark that realistically are never going to become regulars or even back ups in a more normal season. Guys like Phillips, Grujic, Wilson, Ojo, and Awoniyi spring to mind straight away.

All would be better off imo if they were able to get moves to clubs where the expectations are a tad lower so they could get regular playing time.
Old 07-04-21, 06:33 PM   #279
Charly
Dalglish

Who is going to want to be 4/5th choice, and be at the levels you are expecting?
Old 07-04-21, 10:57 PM   #280
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly View Post
Who is going to want to be 4/5th choice, and be at the levels you are expecting?

Well if we buy Konate in the summer then someone like Kabak would be the sort of fourth choice I would be thinking of. A good young CB with lots of potential.

In recent years we have had VVD, Gomez, Matip and Lovern as our four CBs so don't really see any issue with looking to have four CBs all capable of slotting into the first team albeit with a couple of them being better than the other two.

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC