It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892
Old 27-04-21, 12:12 PM   #8961
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Dickhead went into Elite and started talking shit to the owners and coaches. Dorian obliged him by being gentle in the ring.

Methinks he was lucky that Dorian was the coach that went into the ring with him as Adrianna is a machine and she would have killed him.

Do the dead love the flesh of man because it is like the tomato? We'll never know. But I have my suspicions.
Jaco_Pastorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-21, 12:16 AM   #8962
Zapater
Dalglish

Not a bad outing from Derek there, thought he did enough to get the nod with the knockdown. Always thought he'd be horrible for Parker stylistically and it would be an easy fight for Chisora. Parker did better than I anticipated. Whilst still pretty decent, can't help but think 3 or 4 years ago, Chisora would have had enough stamina in the tank to see it out convincingly rather than stepping off the pedal in the last 3 rounds.
Zapater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-21, 10:48 AM   #8963
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Watched a replay of it this morning.

Pretty daming indictment of the lack of quality that now makes up the supposed second tier of heavyweights.

Do the dead love the flesh of man because it is like the tomato? We'll never know. But I have my suspicions.
Old 02-05-21, 12:03 PM   #8964
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaco_Pastorious View Post
Watched a replay of it this morning.

Pretty daming indictment of the lack of quality that now makes up the supposed second tier of heavyweights.
Who are the top tier?
Old 02-05-21, 12:42 PM   #8965
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapater View Post
Who are the top tier?

Nowadays the that "top" tier would be the likes of Fury, Joshua, and Wilder.

As I said the current tiers just highlight the utter lack of quality in the heavyweight division.

The current "Top" guys would have been the sort that filled out the lower reaches of a top 10 or top 20 list years ago. Wilder would have been a Michael Grant type - hyped to the moon until he ran into a class heavyweight and then sinking back into the mire.

Joshua would have been a Frank Bruno or Bruce Seldon type. Again lots of hype for a big strong looking guy who comes unstuck against genuine quality.

Fury would just have been another Joe Bugner or Gerry Cooney. The big white hope who made their name beating long past it mid sized names of yesteryear.

These guys come with a lot of hype nowadays about their perceived talent and abilities, but all they are are a trio that stand out in what has to be poorest heavyweight division in living memory. It is actually stunning how poor the division is from top to bottom.

The other guys in the current top ten, the Chisoras, the Parkers, the Whytes, the Joyces and so on would just have been journeymen padding people's records rather than the Pay Per View "stars" they get billed as nowadays.

Old 02-05-21, 01:27 PM   #8966
fidget
Shankly

100% concur
To be governed is to be watched over, inspected, spied on, directed, legislated at, regulated, docketed, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, assessed, weighed, censored, ordered about, by men who have neither the right, nor the knowledge, nor the virtue.
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-21, 02:46 PM   #8967
Zapater
Dalglish

They're all journeymen and circus acts to me. Never really enjoyed heavyweights, almost always inferior fighters to their smaller counterparts. The division has been a joke for many a year and the current crop are horrendous. No idea how promotors and broadcasters have hoodwinked the public that there 'red hot'.

Wilder moves like a spastic ostrich. It's like he's based his movement on the monsters from Silent Hill 2. The less said about the other two, the better.

Who'd have thought that Wlad and Vitali were probably the last really good heavyweights for some time. Unfortunately they were rarely challenged and had to dispatch cannon fodder for the majority of the time.
Old 02-05-21, 03:17 PM   #8968
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
They're all journeymen and circus acts to me. Never really enjoyed heavyweights, almost always inferior fighters to their smaller counterparts. The division has been a joke for many a year and the current crop are horrendous. No idea how promotors and broadcasters have hoodwinked the public that there 'red hot'.

Wilder moves like a spastic ostrich. It's like he's based his movement on the monsters from Silent Hill 2. The less said about the other two, the better.

Who'd have thought that Wlad and Vitali were probably the last really good heavyweights for some time. Unfortunately they were rarely challenged and had to dispatch cannon fodder for the majority of the time.

For me the brothers were last heavyweights who potentially may have been good enough to slot into a number of eras and still be top dogs or close to that level.

I grew up loving the heavyweight and middleweight divisions and saw them as being "THE" divisions.

Love that description of Wilder's movement. Having the grace of an epileptic in a strobe factory is usually how I describe him, but like your description more so am going to rob that

Agree on the promoters/broadcasters too. It is simply amazing how they get the public to purchase such awful PPVs time after time. It is just chock full of journeymen, washed up fighters or never rans, yet time after time it is pushed like you are about to see Hagler vs Hearns.

Course does not help when you have guys like Sugar Ray Eubank Jr talking about himself like he really should have Sugar Ray in front of his name, and not being laughed out of it whenever he speaks.

Think where I am with pro boxing now is similar to what I see a lot of guys posting about football. The heart has really gone out of the sport at mainstream level and whatever integrity was there once upon a time is not even a faded memory now.

Old 04-05-21, 02:24 AM   #8969
Zapater
Dalglish

I get it, whilst my opinion would be extremely unpopular among boxing historians and fans - I find it difficult to put any heavyweight into the discussion when compiling P4P lists. I'd like to think I'm a student of the game and whilst only being alive for contemporary boxing, I've watched a lot of footage of the classics. Perhaps I'm biased, but when I look at the quality of really good, but not the best ever in their weight and compare them to heavyweights who are lauded over, you can't really compare them.

Off the top of my head, Rocky Marciano to me looks shit. Apparently this was often the opinion of him among fighters/trainers at the time too... until they got into the ring with him. I know he beat slick boxers like Jersey Joe Walcott and bigger men an he is to be rated by his heart, workrate and punching power. The guy just looks so average, he's like Wilder's small Italian brother. Meanwhile compare him to Rocky Graziano or Tony Zale who were relentless with much more about them at lower weights are not really spoken about. If Marciano was a middleweight, I don't think anyone would know who he was. I know it's romantic and automatic to assume heavies are the best, but I find the history of the division pretty dull. It's no surprise to me that some of the best remembered heavyweights through the ages are either small or move like smaller men. Slow, cumbersome ogres with low punch output shows for some boring viewing.

The PPV is currently ridiculous. How the likes of Parker and Chisora are on PPV and people are buying speaks more for the intelligence of humankind at this moment in time. You can't even blame sharks like Eddie Hearn for profiteering when people are so stupid and make it so easy. He's been putting on stinkers year after year, packing cards with shit fights; claiming he's selling 'value'. My mind springs to the Cleverly - Bellew 'fight' and that he even almost to arrange a rematch... *shudders*

I don't think it's just boxing, I'm disillusioned with sport in general. I've dedicated my whole life to participating in, watching, studying and coaching different sports. The last few years I find myself thinking 'what's the point' more. I'm not sure if boxing has ever had integrity as such. Those fabled nights of professionals knocking out 5 or so journeymen/tomato cans in a single night have disappeared. Don't know how different that is to the Youtube 'fighters' now. The sport has always had an element of a freakshow about it, I think we just don't like to embrace it today where promoters were shameless enough to profiteer from them in the past. Chuck Wepener allegedly did an exhibition against a bear FFS.

Even though boxing is backward and the good fights are too difficult to put together. Are Crawford and Spence going to fight this decade or next? I do like that to some degree, it's about how good you are, not what country you're from. Moruti Mthalane who lost his title a few days ago for example. In other sports, namely rugby and cricket the haves exploit the have nots to generate turmoil for their benefit. What has happened to West Indies cricket for example. Regardless of the state of sports though, trying to enjoy it when they haven't tinkered with it beyond recognition is still possible, although football makes it extremely difficult with a million penalties each match and twats in offices millions of miles away using rulers and protractors to draw lines on monitors. Responsibility of judges in boxing is exactly the same, there haven't been as many shockers recently, but the fact Canelo is billed as only losing to Mayweather and phenom is really baffling when everyone knows he's lost at least 3 or 4 times. And let's be real - Marquez beat Manny at least 3 times too while we're at it.
Old 04-05-21, 12:10 PM   #8970
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Really enjoyed reading that post Zap

I think anyone who compiles an all time P4P list and has even one heavyweight in their top ten was viewing that boxer through rose tinted glasses.

There have been some great heavyweights over the years. Some were powerhouses that excited with their stopping power, some were great brawlers, some were pretty damn good boxers, but P4P I would not have one in my top ten, and most likely not have one in my top 30.

Hearn is just a grifter. Nothing more and he has mugs lining up to buy his promotions and buying into his crap about how all his fighters are top class.

David Haye is a pound shop version of Hearn.

But mugs will keep buying the PPVs, mugs will keep swallowing guff about how the current British heavies are "world class", will keep swallowing guff that the likes of Eubank jr are top level operators.

I do think boxing had integrity or at least more people with integrity involved in the sport than there is nowadays. There were men and women in the sport that saw the sport over the dollar sign, people who saw the fact you could be the undisputed best as meaning more than a few extra zeros on a cheque. Yes they would still want to be paid but it was not the driving force, and they way they fought or coached reflected that as well.

I do not need to make a list of the sort of names I am thinking of because I have no doubt that you would already know the sort of people I am referring to.

But I think with the passing or retirement of each of those people, the sport is a bit poorer because the new generations of super coaches or super promoters are far far more driven by the almighty dollar and the more purist aspects of the sport drft a bit further and further away (and probably shine a bit brighter in memory than they did when there were here).

Nowadays I get more enjoyment from watching trainers at work in a local ABC than I do from watching Pro Boxing. I will watch some fights now and then, but generally I come away from watching a fight feeling crictical of what I just watched and critical of the sport in general.

Liked your take on Marciano too, probably because I feel the same way, and your mention of Tony Zale tickled me too as I love that era of middleweights.

For me the best p4p fighters will nearly always be middleweights as they are, for me, the perfect blend of power, speed, agility and technique.

I grew up loving Heavyeights and Middleweights. I was attracted to the spectacle and power of the Heavies, but Middleweight was always where the royalty lived in my eyes.

Old 08-05-21, 10:39 PM   #8971
Mr Darko
Benitez

Any predictions of Canelo vs. BJS?

Hoping Canelo wins by a brutal KO, although I believe he'll win by UD.
Mr Darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-21, 11:47 PM   #8972
labourRed
Shankly

KO in eight for me.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-21, 11:48 PM   #8973
fidget
Shankly

Dislike both.
Hope they knock each other out.
To be governed is to be watched over, inspected, spied on, directed, legislated at, regulated, docketed, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, assessed, weighed, censored, ordered about, by men who have neither the right, nor the knowledge, nor the virtue.
Old 09-05-21, 07:48 AM   #8974
RichC
Meh

BJS might struggle to come back from that.
RichC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-21, 10:49 AM   #8975
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
BJS might struggle to come back from that.
Depends the extent of the injury and how it heals, fighters have come back from much worse. What's the latest?

Really good stoppage from Canelo, but I'm pretty bleak about the scorecards. For me Saunders was winning the fight quite comfortably at the point of the stoppage, unfortunately all of the judges had him well ahead. He was plodding, hitting air for the main part, whilst Saunders was fighting the type of fight he would want to fight, landing the jab and creating angles.

I'm glad it didn't go the distance because I would have been furious if Canelo lost again and got the nod. Makes me wonder if he'll ever lose a decision again.
Old 09-05-21, 11:10 AM   #8976
fidget
Shankly

Quote:
Depends the extent of the injury and how it heals, fighters have come back from much worse. What's the latest?

Really good stoppage from Canelo, but I'm pretty bleak about the scorecards. For me Saunders was winning the fight quite comfortably at the point of the stoppage, unfortunately all of the judges had him well ahead. He was plodding, hitting air for the main part, whilst Saunders was fighting the type of fight he would want to fight, landing the jab and creating angles.

I'm glad it didn't go the distance because I would have been furious if Canelo lost again and got the nod. Makes me wonder if he'll ever lose a decision again.

Not sure how long these highlights will stay up

Old 21-05-21, 07:34 AM   #8977
marcus50bucks
Niko Bellic

Quote:
Tyson Fury, Deontay Wilder agree to third fight July 24 in Las Vegas: Sources

Lance Pugmire
May 20, 2021 9:56 PM

Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder have verbally agreed to fight again on July 24 in Las Vegas, sources confirmed to The Athletic on Thursday. The fight will be held at either Allegiant Stadium or T-Mobile Arena, with each offering full capacity.

An arbitrator ruled on Monday that Wilder was entitled to a third fight with Fury. They previously fought to a draw in December 2018, then signed a two-fight deal in 2019, with Fury stopping Wilder in Round 7 in February 2020. Wilder exercised the rematch clause but the third fight never happened because of multiple delays caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Fury had agreed to fight Anthony Joshua for the undisputed heavyweight championship on Aug. 14 in Saudi Arabia.

On "The Pugg and Copp Boxing Show" Thursday, The Athletic's Mike Coppinger and Lance Pugmire discussed the possibility of Fury-Wilder 3 and the unravelling of Fury-Joshua.

How we made it to Fury-Wilder 3

Lance Pugmire, senior boxing writer: Following Fury’s miracle rise from the canvas to preserve a December 2018 draw in their first clash, the fighters struck a two-fight agreement that seemed on pace after Fury delivered Wilder his lone defeat by TKO.

When television conflicts scrapped attempts for a December bout, Fury pursued Joshua and Wilder flexed his right to arbitration and won a ruling that their trilogy bout needed to happen by September.

Why wouldn't Fury have paid Wilder step-aside money?

Pugmire: Wilder was never interested in step-aside money after declaring he would avenge the TKO loss, which he said was the result of wearing a heavy leg-fatiguing walk-in costume for that bout.

Fury told The Athletic’s Mike Coppinger Thursday that he had no interest in paying step-aside money to keep his planned four-belt unification bout against Joshua in line.

“I wouldn’t pay him 20 grand. I pay in ass whippings. … I’m going to crack his skull wide open this time.”

What’s next for Joshua?

Pugmire: The three-belt champion from England is moving toward accepting an August mandatory challenge from unbeaten and former fully unified cruiserweight champion Oleksandr Usyk.

The World Boxing Organization is expected to formally mandate that bout on Friday after Usyk reached mandatory status in 2019. Joshua promoter Eddie Hearn said he expects to finalize that deal in short order.

Joshua railed at Fury on Twitter this week, asking, “If there was an arbitration going on, why announce to the world we are fighting!?”

https://theathletic.com/news/tyson-f...hE1X3i44?amp=1
marcus50bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-21, 11:33 AM   #8978
spud_gun
Paisley

Josh Taylor vs Jose Ramirez for the UNIFIED IBF, WBA, WBO and WBC world super-lightweight titles on Saturday night

What a fucking achievement if Taylor wins on Sat.

Sadly there's been a criminal lack of coverage for this fight. It's not been picked up by Sky, BT or any of the terrestrial channels. It's on FITE TV (!??!)

Reminiscent of Frochs early Super Six fights on some random streaming site.

Taylor should be afforded better.
spud_gun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-21, 11:37 AM   #8979
RichC
Meh

That's a shame it's not on a mainstream channel, good on him he's always been a good watch the fight against Prograis was a great performance.
Old 21-05-21, 12:58 PM   #8980
fidget
Shankly

I’ll download it when I wake up the morning after.
Old 21-05-21, 01:33 PM   #8981
spud_gun
Paisley

Buy it you tight fucker.

It's only a tenner to watch the best 'pure boxer' in the country unify a division
Old 23-05-21, 03:59 AM   #8982
spud_gun
Paisley

Taylor
Old 23-05-21, 09:34 AM   #8983
RichC
Meh

His promoters need to get their act together. How this wasn’t on a mainstream network is a disgrace.
Old 23-05-21, 10:16 AM   #8984
spud_gun
Paisley

He's with Top Rank. You'd think they would know what they were doing.

The coverage of the fight on the PPV was shit. Broadcast went off air less than 5 mins after the fight.

Still pumped after that fight.

I saw him box back at the Commonwealth games in Glasgow in 2014. He looked good but i don't think anyone thought he'd go on to unify a division in 18 Pro fights
Old 23-05-21, 12:15 PM   #8985
RichC
Meh

Called out Terrance Crawford, could be a cracking fight if that takes place
Old 23-05-21, 12:55 PM   #8986
spud_gun
Paisley

Yeah there's a lot of good fights at 147.

Spence and the majestic Crawford chief amongst them

Wouldnt have any issue with Taylor having an 'easy' mandatory in Edinburgh. Make a ton of money and then move to 147.

I just hope he keeps the head. He's already had a few issues out of the ring.
Old 24-05-21, 12:29 PM   #8987
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Called out Terrance Crawford, could be a cracking fight if that takes place

That would be a very tasty bout if it comes about sooner rather than later. Would favour Crawford as he is one of the purest all rounders in the sport today with no real weakness to him.

Taylor is no mug either though, and what with being 3 or 4 years younger than Crawford and having less miles on the clock, calling Crawford out as he approaches 34 years of age might be a very good move similar to Leonard waiting for Hagler to have faded just enough before taking him on.

Taylor has some really good wins under his belt too. Ramirez is a damn good scalp to have as are Viktor Postol and Prograis.

Would not be surprised if Taylor gets a spell as the P4P king before he retires from the sport.

Old 29-05-21, 11:05 AM   #8988
marcus50bucks
Niko Bellic

Great interview by John Fury. Very honest assessment of the whole situation. He more or less agrees with Hearn's take on things. His son should listen to him and take heed. Also I don't know about anyone else but some of Tyson's antics in the media recently is starting to make me think he is back on the sniff again. I hope this isn't the case as I'm a big fan of his as some of you may know from previous posts.
marcus50bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-21, 11:18 AM   #8989
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus50bucks View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5QK2ufOc4M

Great interview by John Fury. Very honest assessment of the whole situation. He more or less agrees with Hearn's take on things. His son should listen to him and take heed. Also I don't know about anyone else but some of Tyson's antics in the media recently is starting to make me think he is back on the sniff again. I hope this isn't the case as I'm a big fan of his as some of you may know from previous posts.

Tyson Fury's antics and comments of late is just him being himself. He has been that way his entire career and he was just being managed better of late in terms of his media team imo. The man with the horribly racist, sexist and bigoted views is never too far from the surface imho.

Personally I cannot take too much of what Joh Fury says seriously either. He is another that tries to change his public persona. Really not sure how much a person who regarded gouging out the eye of another person as the proper response to an argument can actually change.

Old 29-05-21, 11:49 AM   #8990
fidget
Shankly

Quote:
Tyson Fury's antics and comments of late is just him being himself. He has been that way his entire career and he was just being managed better of late in terms of his media team imo. The man with the horribly racist, sexist and bigoted views is never too far from the surface imho.

Personally I cannot take too much of what Joh Fury says seriously either. He is another that tries to change his public persona. Really not sure how much a person who regarded gouging out the eye of another person as the proper response to an argument can actually change.

Pair of cunts
Old 31-05-21, 01:49 AM   #8991
Zapater
Dalglish

Quote:

I've said my piece on the Fury's and have been ridiculed for it, so I won't repeat myself. You're exactly right though, I have no idea how he's suddenly refreshed his image and that the perception is that he's a nice guy and upstanding member of society. Bunch of cunts with Tyson being the worst. Makes me laugh that the same people that speak up about BLM and other social issues think that Fury is a great guy. Hypocrisy at its pinnacle.
Old 31-05-21, 10:15 AM   #8992
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

Quote:
I've said my piece on the Fury's and have been ridiculed for it, so I won't repeat myself. You're exactly right though, I have no idea how he's suddenly refreshed his image and that the perception is that he's a nice guy and upstanding member of society. Bunch of cunts with Tyson being the worst. Makes me laugh that the same people that speak up about BLM and other social issues think that Fury is a great guy. Hypocrisy at its pinnacle.

Is simple.

A good media team that gets to be hands on for a sustained period and that gets him to stick to script be it on social media or in interviews for a solid chunk of time.

Only thing I am positive it is not, is him suddenly becoming a nice guy free of horrible predjudices.

Old 07-06-21, 12:37 AM   #8993
Chazza
Des Lynam

Mayweather needs to finish this cunt quick and deadly to put an end to this circus.

Although he is part of the circus so fuck knows really.

Just people put their lives on the line for this sport and then are mugged off by youtube stars with 0-1 records making life changing money.

Last edited by Chazza; 07-06-21 at 12:43 AM.
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 01:14 AM   #8994
ChesterDave
Paisley

Mayweather is a dreadful human but lesser of two evils he wins this. Paul doesn't even need the $$$ made more from YouTube than he'll get from this fight
ChesterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 01:20 AM   #8995
Chazza
Des Lynam

Eventually someone is getting seriously hurt and it will set the sport back years.
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 08:24 AM   #8996
fabinho
Benitez

Didn't see that lasting the distance
Old 07-06-21, 08:34 AM   #8997
ChesterDave
Paisley

The Paul fanbois out in force claiming he won. Not can count as a victory because he went the distance but outright won. Stats say otherwise
ChesterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-21, 08:54 AM   #8998
fabinho
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterDave View Post
The Paul fanbois out in force claiming he won. Not can count as a victory because he went the distance but outright won. Stats say otherwise
Fair play to him though, as much as I hoped he'd get knocked out, he went 8 rounds with Mayweather, who would've loved nothing more than to put Paul down. Mayweather may be retired, but Paul has only had one fight before. Begrudgingly, I respect what he's done.
Old 07-06-21, 11:38 AM   #8999
Gray
Dalglish

I'm sure Mayweather was paid for it to go the distance, or that would be the end of exhibition bouts and free money.
Old 07-06-21, 02:57 PM   #9000
Jaco_Pastorious
Paisley

The talk of it going the distance was out there days before the fight. Seems a "revenge" bout may be on the way with the youtuber's brother looking to fight Mayweather to "avenge" his brother.

Need to get the EST1892 social media geeks on the case from here on in, and get a Jaco vs Mayweather streetfight PPV up and running. I would do it for far less than Youtube gimp. Give me a million and I would fight Mayweather in a running battle through the streets of Cork or Limerick

est1892 > General > General Sports