It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 26-02-08, 04:18 PM   #1
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

The 'where are they now?' files

We spend a lot of our time wondering how our young stars will turn out...will Pacheco go on to be a world beater? Will Nemeth surpass Puskas to become the greatest Hungarian player of all time?

Who knows what the future holds. I’d love to have a glance into it and see who makes it to the top and who plummets down the ladder. We invest time into discussing these players yet when they leave that's it - we lose trace of them almost completely. Perhaps many of us don't give a shit but I do.

This is the thread for rediscovering long lost gems, wonderkids, hoofers or otherwise.

I was thinking about Paul Harrison the other day – our ex-keeper whose father & uncle (?) died at Hillsborough (JFT96). He enjoyed a few sub appearances in the first team before being loaned to Leeds, where he didn’t make a single appearance.

Sadly he’s a virtual amateur these days. Having left us for Wolves, he had spells at Chester, Hereford and Southport – before The Port released him and he signed for TNS last summer.

I’ve also just looked up Igor Biscan.

I think most of us knew he’d been surprisingly released by Panathinaikos last summer. I couldn’t help but notice that he didn’t feature at all on the first version of FM08. He was without a club!

Get this though...

He signed for Dinamo Zagreb in December, has been restored to his favoured defensive midfield position and has scored 6 goals in 14 appearances so far!
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 26-02-08, 04:21 PM   #2
BFG
Dalglish

Igor!

Worth a punt with Momo now gone?
Old 26-02-08, 04:23 PM   #3
Tee
El Pistolero

I have always wondered what happened to Titi Camara.....

Looked him up and apparently he is playing in the French second division for Amiens SC.
Old 26-02-08, 04:25 PM   #4
BFG
Dalglish

Sean Dundee's playing for 'Stuttgarter Kickers' now apparently. How the fuck did that guy get a move to LFC?
Old 26-02-08, 04:49 PM   #5
Maestro
A.K.A Groucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFG View Post
Sean Dundee's playing for 'Stuttgarter Kickers' now apparently. How the fuck did that guy get a move to LFC?
Sean Dundee had actually been shit hot in the Bundesliga for a few years before joining us - he was around the top of the goalscoring charts for two seasons running, despite playing for an average enough team.
If memory serves, he had an opportunity to play for any one of four national teams - South Africa, Australia, Germany and Republic of Ireland, and decided to plump for Germany. This decision coincided with his move to LFC and his form turning to absolute muck.
A few years ago, he was a reserve striker for Austria Vienna, and didn't manage 1 goal in something like 18 appearances. What a turkey!
Old 26-02-08, 04:55 PM   #6
BFG
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Sean Dundee had actually been shit hot in the Bundesliga for a few years before joining us - he was around the top of the goalscoring charts for two seasons running, despite playing for an average enough team.
If memory serves, he had an opportunity to play for any one of four national teams - South Africa, Australia, Germany and Republic of Ireland, and decided to plump for Germany. This decision coincided with his move to LFC and his form turning to absolute muck.
A few years ago, he was a reserve striker for Austria Vienna, and didn't manage 1 goal in something like 18 appearances. What a turkey!
Fair enough then (to an extent ). I knew he'd done well the year before he came but wasn't aware he'd done it a bit more consistently.
Old 27-02-08, 11:00 AM   #7
Montana
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFG View Post
Fair enough then (to an extent ). I knew he'd done well the year before he came but wasn't aware he'd done it a bit more consistently.
The thing with Sean Dundee was that he was quite consistent and prolific in the Bundesliga and maybe would've done ok in the PL but he suffered a serious injury about a year or two before we bought him and was never the same player again.
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-08, 04:27 PM   #8
el matador
Facing the firing squad for suggesting Brian McBride as a transfer target!

ive always wondered what happened to torben piechnik. He was touted by souness as some one who had a lot of international experience and was worth considerably more than we paid for him.

He was subsequently proved to be wrong.

ps dont forget the stig
el matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-08, 04:28 PM   #9
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Two strikers tipped for the top a few years ago…

Jon Newby toured the lower leagues for a few years before dropping out of it with Southport. Happily he’s now back in the league with Morecambe. This sharp-shooter has (according to Wiki) scored 29 goals in a 242 game career so far!

John Miles has trodden a similar path to Newby, although he’s remained in the top 4 divisions. Currently on Accrington Stanley’s payroll, he recently joined MK Dons on-loan. Ince obviously rates the lad. Miles has 23 career goals to his name from 135 career appearances.
Old 26-02-08, 04:28 PM   #10
matycowling1007
Houllier

jon welsh "the next gerrard" is at hull
matycowling1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-08, 04:28 PM   #11
Tee
El Pistolero

Vegard Heggem..... Veggie is currently the owner and manager of a salmon fishing business at the river Orkla in Sør-Trøndelag, Norway.
Old 26-02-08, 04:31 PM   #12
Assassin
Kloppite

Kewell - has he left yet?
Old 26-02-08, 04:32 PM   #13

Got any work Shaggy ?
Old 26-02-08, 04:38 PM   #14
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Craig Linfield could be the next one to add to that list. Just returned from a one month loan spell with Chester. Not sure where hi fits in at the club anymore with Nemeth seemingly usurping him.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-08, 04:47 PM   #15
smither
Dalglish

Oyvind Leonhardsen - 41 appearances, 7 goals for Stromsgodset last season in a title winning year
smither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-08, 06:15 PM   #16
Morten_nogamst_Pedersen
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smither View Post
Oyvind Leonhardsen - 41 appearances, 7 goals for Stromsgodset last season in a title winning year
Stromsgodset sure as hell didn't win any titles last year, but they are a part of our history by being the team who has lost to us with the largest margin ever.
11-0 in a european match back in the 70's.
Morten_nogamst_Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-08, 04:51 PM   #17
smither
Dalglish

Nicky Rizzo - played 12 games for Perth Glory this season after being 'fans favourite' at MK Dons, with loans to Grimsby and Chesterfield too
Old 26-02-08, 04:53 PM   #18
Reece

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyAlonso View Post
Sadly he’s a virtual amateur these days. Having left us for Wolves, he had spells at Chester, Hereford and Southport – before The Port released him and he signed for TNS last summer.
TNS!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-08, 04:54 PM   #19
Maestro
A.K.A Groucho

What about Ritchie Partridge? He was always touted as a shit hot tricky winger who would break into the first team, but his injuries fucked his career royally.
He's playing for Chester now….I'll never forget LFC offering him a 1 year contract when he was crocked, and not for the life of me understanding why.
Then I read that he was going out with (now married to) Michael Owen's sister.
This was just around the time that we were trying to convince MO to stay with us…coincidence, or what?!?
Old 26-02-08, 04:55 PM   #20
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
What about Ritchie Partridge? He was always touted as a shit hot tricky winger who would break into the first team, but his injuries fucked his career royally.
He's playing for Chester now….I'll never forget LFC offering him a 1 year contract when he was crocked, and not for the life of me understanding why.
This was just around the time that we were trying to convince MO to stay with us…coincidence, or what?!?

Partridge went to Wednesday and I assured my Wednesday fan mate that he was very skilful and would "tear their league apart".

They promptly shipped him off to Rotherham, where he couldn't get a game.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 26-02-08, 04:56 PM   #21
smither
Dalglish

Quote:
Who's Michael Owen?
Old 26-02-08, 05:46 PM   #22
PaulLinehan
Hodgsoned

Quote:
richie was rated as better than duff and robbie keane in the irish youth set up. He went on loan to coventry the seaosn before stephen warnock went there and richie was voted as their player of the season that year... he was also voted into the championship team of the season and was heavily tipped to break into our team the year later.....

such a pity if you ask me......
PaulLinehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-08, 05:48 PM   #23
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulLinehan View Post
richie was rated as better than duff and robbie keane in the irish youth set up. He went on loan to coventry the seaosn before stephen warnock went there and richie was voted as their player of the season that year... he was also voted into the championship team of the season and was heavily tipped to break into our team the year later.....

such a pity if you ask me......
Any idea what went wrong for the lad? My Wednesday mate says he looked woeful - low on confidence and desire.
Old 26-02-08, 05:01 PM   #24
Reaper
Jerry Sadowitz

Jimmy Carter anyone?
Justice urged on my high artificer;
My maker was divine authority,
The highest wisdom, and the primal love.
Before me nothing but eternal things were made,
And I endure eternally.
Abandon every hope, ye who enter here."
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-08, 05:04 PM   #25
Maestro
A.K.A Groucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Jimmy Carter anyone?
To be fair though, it was quite an honour in those days to be President of the United States.
Old 26-02-08, 06:18 PM   #26
CharlieMansonsSquint
Kuyt's jilted lover

Quote:
Jimmy Carter anyone?
Working in a kebab shop according to Pete.

Whatever happened to Steve Harkness? By god he was shite.

Daniel Sjolund was another, was supposed to be the next Owen or something.
Old 26-02-08, 10:59 PM   #27
Gingawaria
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieMansonsSquint View Post
Working in a kebab shop according to Pete.

Whatever happened to Steve Harkness? By god he was shite.

Daniel Sjolund was another, was supposed to be the next Owen or something.

I rated Steve Harkness...we sold him to Benfica if I remember rightly.

Lee Jones is someone I remember hearing a lot about about 15 years ago, he had some potential but he had a couple of really bad injuries and never really recovered. We sold him to Tranmere according to Wiki. I only remember him because he cropped up playing for my local team Caernarfon Town a couple of years ago.
Gingawaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-08, 05:06 PM   #28
Reaper
Jerry Sadowitz

And to be fairer it is probably regarded as even more of a honour to clean the boots of players at Anfield tho Maestro
Justice urged on my high artificer;
My maker was divine authority,
The highest wisdom, and the primal love.
Before me nothing but eternal things were made,
And I endure eternally.
Abandon every hope, ye who enter here."
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-08, 05:10 PM   #29
Maestro
A.K.A Groucho

Quote:
And to be fairer it is probably regarded as even more of a honour to clean the boots of players at Anfield tho Maestro

Here's one...what's happened with Stéphane Henchoz?
I think he's still on Blackburn's books, but hasn't played for them in ages.
Old 26-02-08, 05:18 PM   #30
Yozza
Shankly

Quote:

Here's one...what's happened with Stéphane Henchoz?
I think he's still on Blackburn's books, but hasn't played for them in ages.
Dunno but I bumped into him just before xmas here in mancland - he was with his totally gorgeous wife & their young lad...

He said he was never given a full explanation why he had to leave Anfield - was told one monday morning that Blackburn had come in for him, he had no chance at Anfield & he was to go... he seemed well gutted still

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-08, 05:34 PM   #31
Maestro
A.K.A Groucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozza View Post
Dunno but I bumped into him just before xmas here in mancland - he was with his totally gorgeous wife & their young lad...

He said he was never given a full explanation why he had to leave Anfield - was told one monday morning that Blackburn had come in for him, he had no chance at Anfield & he was to go... he seemed well gutted still
That kind of thing happens a lot.
Old 26-02-08, 05:23 PM   #32
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Thought he went to Wigan first?
Old 26-02-08, 05:24 PM   #33
Yozza
Shankly

Quote:
Thought he went to Wigan first?
It was one of the NW pie eating clubs...

Bob's Miserable Bastards Club Member #2
Yozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-08, 05:32 PM   #34
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Not a youngster but it just occurred to me - wtf happened with Pegguy Arphexad?!

According to wiki, he only made 11 league appearances since he left us! Went to Stockport on loan before tranferring to Coventry, Notts County on loan, then on to Marseille. Is 34 now and no longer playing.
Old 26-02-08, 05:37 PM   #35
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Polo View Post
Not a youngster but it just occurred to me - wtf happened with Pegguy Arphexad?!

According to wiki, he only made 11 league appearances since he left us! Went to Stockport on loan before tranferring to Coventry, Notts County on loan, then on to Marseille. Is 34 now and no longer playing.
That's a shame. 34 is fairly young for a keeper and he surely should still be able to play at some level of the professional game?!?

Mind you, he was rubbish.

What about another of Houllier's 'gems'?

CARL MEDJANI!

He eventually returned to France with the mighty Lorient, and they have duly farmed him out on loan to Ajaccio!!
Old 26-02-08, 05:45 PM   #36
homer1
Benitez

Quote:

CARL MEDJANI!

Poached from under the nose of Fergie ...................... allegedly

Never forget Bobby Robson being interviewed speaking after he had captured Hugo Viana for £8.5m saying that Ged had rang him up and said "you bugger (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)" - proud as punch he was that he had stolen a march on us

Thanks fuck we aren't talking about him as being another of our expensive flops - is he still at Valencia?

If only
homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-08, 05:51 PM   #37
dww
humourless curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1 View Post
Poached from under the nose of Fergie ...................... allegedly

Never forget Bobby Robson being interviewed speaking after he had captured Hugo Viana for £8.5m saying that Ged had rang him up and said "you bugger (wink, wink, nudge, nudge)" - proud as punch he was that he had stolen a march on us

Thanks fuck we aren't talking about him as being another of our expensive flops - is he still at Valencia?
The thing is that apparently both United and Arsenal were after him but that must be true of so many young players. In the sense that at least they have them scouted just like us. Under Houllier we seemed to put too much faith in too few young players and seemed to pay a lot for many of them and failed to develop any at all really.

I think a lot of the problems came from a failure to create a united youth and reserve policy and use loans in any way constructively. The Houllier-Heighway disagreements cost us a great deal in the long run IMO. It was interesting that Rafa was so quick to get rid of Heighway.
Old 26-02-08, 05:37 PM   #38
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

Henchoz
Old 26-02-08, 05:42 PM   #39
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Just had a blast from the past and recalled David Mannix, who was farmed out on-loan to some bizarrely named Norwegian (Danish?) club called Ham Kam or something.

He is now plying his trade for, SURPRISE SURPRISE, Accrington Stanley!!!

I saw Vignal (I had high hopes for him ) playing for Southampton recently.
Old 26-02-08, 05:46 PM   #40
homer1
Benitez

Quote:
Just had a blast from the past and recalled David Mannix, who was farmed out on-loan to some bizarrely named Norwegian (Danish?) club called Ham Kam or something.

He is now plying his trade for, SURPRISE SURPRISE, Accrington Stanley!!!

I saw Vignal (I had high hopes for him ) playing for Southampton recently.
I remember him, wasn't he supposed to have a big future but had a bad injury or something?

If only
homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC