It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > General Football

Old 18-07-19, 12:21 AM   #5961
topscorer
Dalglish

I say good luck to him.

More English players should be having the balls to move abroad.

A lot of English players that are playing for Canon fodder clubs in the EPL could be fighting for trophies and medals at bigger clubs in smaller leagues across Europe and gaining valuable football and life experiences.
topscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-19, 08:32 AM   #5962
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishnev View Post
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-19, 11:06 AM   #5963
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by topscorer View Post
I say good luck to him.

More English players should be having the balls to move abroad.

A lot of English players that are playing for Canon fodder clubs in the EPL could be fighting for trophies and medals at bigger clubs in smaller leagues across Europe and gaining valuable football and life experiences.

But missing out on a shit load of money.
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-19, 09:33 PM   #5964
Charly
Dalglish

We dont learn foreign languages at an early enough age, imho.
Old 19-07-19, 12:22 AM   #5965
topscorer
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReet View Post
But missing out on a shit load of money.

It's still good money and if they join clubs that win things in the smaller leagues I think they would get the chance to get bigger deals back in England at a later date.
Old 19-07-19, 11:04 AM   #5966
RedReet
Fantasy Football Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by topscorer View Post
It's still good money and if they join clubs that win things in the smaller leagues I think they would get the chance to get bigger deals back in England at a later date.
Good money to us, but for a footballer it's a fraction of what they could earn in the PL. I agree with what you are saying in principle, but from a footballers perspective, you could sign a 5 year contract with a PL club that would potentially set you up for life, or gamble on going abroad and being successful, which may or may not work out (more likely not I would guess in a lot of cases).

It may have changed in recent years, but definitely a couple of years ago the average wage in the Championship (never mind the PL) was more than double that of Portual and Holland's top division, so I can totally understand why a lot of footballers would be unwilling to take that risk.
RedReet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-19, 11:59 AM   #5967
Patricks_Berger
Fagan

Professional footballers, they’re playing for money not life experiences.
Patricks_Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-19, 02:06 PM   #5968
topscorer
Dalglish

Everyone lives for life experiences. It's not all about the money.

Surveys have repeatedly shown that employees are attracted to benefits and environment more than money.

In any profession the people that just follow the biggest pay check regardless of anything else often end up the least happy.
Old 19-07-19, 02:31 PM   #5969
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

That's in the context of working for 45 years + and being old when you stop. When you're earning properly for 10-15 years and stopping in your early 30s, with ample time for life experiences, I think it must give a very different outlook to work.
Old 19-07-19, 03:41 PM   #5970
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Pochettino is so weird.

So the message I am getting is that if Spurs want to keep him as manager they need to avoid winning trophy’s at all costs they seem perfectly equipped.

Quote:
Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino says he may have left the club if they had won the Champions League.

The Argentine led Spurs to their first final in June, where they were beaten 2-0 by Liverpool.

Pochettino said prior to the game that he might need to "think about doing something different" should Spurs win.

"When you touch the glory, you behave differently, the players behave differently, the challenge becomes different," Pochettino said.

"If the result had been different, maybe you can think it is a moment to step out of the club and give it a possibility for a real new chapter with a new coaching staff.

"But, to finish like this? I am not a person who won't face problems or avoids difficult situations."

Put to him that many managers would have taken the alternative view, and stayed with the club if they had won, Pochettino said: "I agree with you.

"But I know Tottenham. It is not the same as another club.

"Myself and the coaching staff are not the same, no better or worse, just different. That is a normal mindset but we are getting results with ours."
Buzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-19, 04:11 PM   #5971
Red_Polo
Takin' Her Easy

"Listen boys, if we win today it's not the start of something special. It's the end of it."
Old 19-07-19, 04:26 PM   #5972
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Polo View Post
"Listen boys, if we win today it's not the start of something special. It's the end of it."

Its bizarre. Does it even need commenting on?
Old 19-07-19, 06:27 PM   #5973
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

I think he's implying that had they won it would indicate them having reached a new level and that he could leave them in a good position.

As it is they lost and they're still Spursy
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-19, 10:31 PM   #5974
fah-q
Touching cloth

Good manager but he’s full of shit
fah-q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-19, 12:20 PM   #5975
Exiled_red
Paisley

Sounds like he needs to win a trophy to get the big job elsewhere that he clearly wants, doesn't sound like it's about Spurs sounds like it's all about him.
Old 20-07-19, 12:29 PM   #5976
Phoenix07
The Normal One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled_red View Post
Sounds like he needs to win a trophy to get the big job elsewhere that he clearly wants, doesn't sound like it's about Spurs sounds like it's all about him.
I think he wants a job with prestige. He's built Spurs into a force minus the trophies and cup finals (bar one).

Spurs are just bland. From the name, to the players, to the fans. They're just boring as fuck.

Pochettino is one of the few managers I'd want us to have if Klopp suddenly left.
Phoenix07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-19, 12:44 PM   #5977
Cormack74
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix07 View Post
I think he wants a job with prestige. He's built Spurs into a force minus the trophies and cup finals (bar one).

Spurs are just bland. From the name, to the players, to the fans. They're just boring as fuck.

Pochettino is one of the few managers I'd want us to have if Klopp suddenly left.

Maybe just "Spurs" but not Tottenham Hotspurs; it's a proper traditional name like Accrington Stanley or Heart of Midlothian.
Cormack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-19, 01:36 PM   #5978
Exiled_red
Paisley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix07 View Post

He's done a good job at Spurs but he has the 'not having won a trophy tag' still hanging over him. He clearly sees Spurs as a stepping stone but it looks like the types of club that he wants to go to need convincing that he's a winner. and I'm guessing the line you don't have to win trophies to be a winner won't cut it at those kinds of clubs
Old 21-07-19, 02:46 PM   #5979
Buzzo
Donald Buzzworth

Kane just banged one in from half way pre season v Juve.

Old 21-07-19, 03:46 PM   #5980
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Wow. Injury time winner too.
Old 21-07-19, 04:05 PM   #5981
ChesterDave
Paisley

Pfft, not even in his own half
Old 06-08-19, 07:43 PM   #5982
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 06-08-19, 08:34 PM   #5983
Saveloy
Expect the Wurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
What happened to Spurs' wage structure? I thought they didn't pay top whack on wages, or did Harry Kane blow that apart?
Saveloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-19, 08:46 PM   #5984
Irishnev
Shankly

Read on Twitter that Spurs start repayments next season so they will splash the cash this summer. If they get rid of Eriksson that gives them extra cash on top of what they have right now.

I'd say Phil if they sell Eriksson and Lo Celso for 60m. Dybala on top of that is another 70m - that's a fair wedge but it makes them v strong.
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-19, 08:49 PM   #5985
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

Quote:
Read on Twitter that Spurs start repayments next season so they will splash the cash this summer. If they get rid of Eriksson that gives them extra cash on top of what they have right now.

I'd say Phil if they sell Eriksson and Lo Celso for 60m. Dybala on top of that is another 70m - that's a fair wedge but it makes them v strong.
That sounds silly.
Old 06-08-19, 08:58 PM   #5986
Pepe79
Dalglish

Quote:

Those 3 plus Ndombele to go with Dele, Kane and Son puts them right in the title picture. Thatd be an incredible transfer window.
Pepe79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-19, 09:25 PM   #5987
baitman
Daddy day care

Dybala was supposed to want 350k a week from manure, no way are spuds paying anything like that.

too many gutless players, no beef or desire. pussies everywhere... sack them all, but not VVD or Alisson
baitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-19, 10:44 PM   #5988
foresterbloke
Run the Jewels

Everyone was creaming themselves over Lamela too but he's a bang average fucking shithouse
Old 06-08-19, 11:32 PM   #5989
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by foresterbloke View Post
Everyone was creaming themselves over Lamela too but he's a bang average fucking shithouse
I wasn't but then I didn't watch him. However I don't think Dybala is a winner either.

Clearly a talent but seems to be streaky. Doesn't like a tackle either apparently so good luck to him on that.
labourRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-19, 02:30 PM   #5990
Tribute
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly View Post
We dont learn foreign languages at an early enough age, imho.
...Je ne sais pas ce que vous essayez de dire l-bas ...?
Tribute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-19, 07:38 PM   #5991
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Old 08-08-19, 02:06 AM   #5992
Frenchie
Dalglish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribute View Post
...Je ne sais pas ce que vous essayez de dire l-bas ...?
Pas mal du tout
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 08:29 AM   #5993
Shaggy
Dressed up as Batman?

Dybala is overrated imo but still, these are doing my head in

Old 08-08-19, 09:00 AM   #5994
danperkins
Martin Skrtel can win a game of Connect Four in three moves

Eriksen clearly going but they are really going for it.
Old 08-08-19, 09:02 AM   #5995
Kenneth
Dan Ashcroft

They must think they're one step away from winning the CL. They're going to be disappointed.
Old 08-08-19, 09:03 AM   #5996
Norbs
Big Girl's Blouse

It's poor planning nearing the end of Pochetino's tenure (you'd guess) and with ground repayments looming. If they've got this wrong, I think they could end up going pop.
Norbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 09:23 AM   #5997
Pablo
Anti-Antipodeanite

Sounds like they are very close to signing Dybala then. An Erikssen replacement?

Will be very interesting to see how he does. Massive hype around him up until he ended up in Ronaldo's shadow last season.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-19, 09:30 AM   #5998
labourRed
Shankly

It'd be the most Levy thing ever to let Eriksen leave on a free but it seems like Spain is his preferred option.

I think it'll be a busy few days a few teams.
Old 08-08-19, 09:31 AM   #5999
labourRed
Shankly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Sounds like they are very close to signing Dybala then. An Erikssen replacement?

Will be very interesting to see how he does. Massive hype around him up until he ended up in Ronaldo's shadow last season.
I don't think there is massive hype. Juventus would have happily sold him for around two years now had there been a taker. A gamble signing IMO.
Old 08-08-19, 09:48 AM   #6000
Irishnev
Shankly

Dybala is excellent lads - this over rated nonsense is because we are jealous. I just wonder where he fits for them - they play 4-3-3 but he is a second striker who should play off Kane but not as deep as Eriksson.

NDombele - superb
Lo Celso - v good and massive potential
Dybala - superb
Sessegnon - massive potential
Fernandes - v good

Surely they aren't signing all of them.....because if they do it's a 3 way fight for the league
Irishnev is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > General Football