It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register please click here...

est1892

Go Back   est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC

Old 24-06-08, 12:17 PM   #1
cadmium
Dislikes patio heaters

Work starts on stadium

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drill...80624-1211.htm
Liverpool City Council granted full planning permission on June 19 to Liverpool Football Club to build a 60,000 seater stadium and outline planning permission for a mixed use development on the existing Anfield stadium site.
The stadium will incorporate a club shop, conference and banqueting facilities, parking for almost 1,000 vehicles and a Community Partnership centre. Its design is ultimately capable of accommodating up to 73,000 people subject to further planning permission.

LFC has instructed Laing O'Rourke to commence enabling works under a licence issued by the Liverpool City Council. Works started on June 23.

Co-chairman George Gillett said: "This is a significant milestone for the club and I am delighted that the design received full planning consent and that we are now on site.

"We have been working very hard over the last six months to move the details of the design along but this is the first tangible evidence for fans that a New LFC Stadium will be built.

"The stadium design is unique and will be recognised across the world as the Liverpool FC Stadium. It incorporates a Kop stand that will hold 18,000 fans and we hope that the stadium will be as noisy and atmospheric on a matchday as Anfield."

Co-chairman Tom Hicks added: "We recognise the importance of a new LFC Stadium as part of the wider regeneration of the local area.

"We have watched the council transform Stanley Park over the last six months and the ongoing refurbishment of houses in the Anfield/ Breckfield area. I am pleased that now the club has received full planning permission it can join the regeneration process with the commencement of enabling works."

The stadium is on programme to open for the beginning of the 2011-12 season.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 24-06-08, 12:27 PM   #2
Skillz
Don't forget to bring a towel!

I have a feeling once the work gets under way the sale to DIC may go ahead. DIC do not want to pay over the top but will have to if they want to get control. If they pay 500M GBP it will be seen to be a more acceptable purchase if that involves the stadium progression. IMO anyway but most likely wishful thinking.
Old 24-06-08, 12:29 PM   #3
Imy
Jalebi Cook

Good news
Old 24-06-08, 12:31 PM   #4
Dhav
Telamonian Ajax

Interesting that GIllett is now extolling the virtues of a design that reportedly no one at the club wanted but Hicks. It seems like these two are now singing from the same hymn sheet, which for those of us who want them gone does not seem like overly good news.

Purslow = C*nt
Dhav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-08, 12:37 PM   #5
SERVO1
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillz View Post
I have a feeling once the work gets under way the sale to DIC may go ahead. DIC do not want to pay over the top but will have to if they want to get control. If they pay 500M GBP it will be seen to be a more acceptable purchase if that involves the stadium progression. IMO anyway but most likely wishful thinking.
That would mean that either DIC are stuck with the Yanks design of stadium or that work would halt as DIC tried to get planning permission for their own design.

Not too sure if DIC would be happy to keep the Yanks design.
SERVO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-08, 12:41 PM   #6
wishiwasascouser
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERVO1 View Post
That would mean that either DIC are stuck with the Yanks design of stadium or that work would halt as DIC tried to get planning permission for their own design.

I agree with this, I think once the stadium work starts proper you won't see DIC for dust. The stadium is one thing the Americans have got right , also they must be extremely confident of securing the rest of the money for the stadium.
wishiwasascouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-08, 12:43 PM   #7
Dhav
Telamonian Ajax

Quote:

I don't think they would.

In the same way that Hicks sees this stadium as his legacy, I'm sure DIC would as well. They'd want full control over the stadium project, including design I would have thought

Purslow = C*nt
Old 24-06-08, 12:46 PM   #8
Dessy
Fagan

Quote:

Why not?

No one seems to doubt that the Yanks can design stadiums. I think it would only frustrate and annoy people if DIC were to come in and then start going throught the design/planning stage all over again?
Dessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-08, 12:50 PM   #9
Skillz

Quote:

Well they wont have a choice if they want in. TBF it's a pretty good stadium, IMO.
Old 24-06-08, 12:51 PM   #10
redstaralex
Fagan

what actually are enabling works? is this digging or just getting yout workers together? I suppose what I'm getting at is is this no more than permission?
redstaralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-08, 12:51 PM   #11
Dhav
Telamonian Ajax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessy View Post
Why not?

No one seems to doubt that the Yanks can design stadiums. I think it would only frustrate and annoy people if DIC were to come in and then start going throught the design/planning stage all over again?
The yanks can design them, but my concern is can they get them built? Hasn't one of Hicks' building projects been put on hold in Texas? If DIC came in, and they can start wholesale from scratch when it comes to stadium as far as I'm concerned, because although it may delay matters further, at least you can guarantee they'd get it done.

Purslow = C*nt
Old 24-06-08, 01:00 PM   #12
Skillz

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstaralex View Post
what actually are enabling works? is this digging or just getting yout workers together? I suppose what I'm getting at is is this no more than permission?
It's a bit suss. Planning permission was granted ages ago but this has been printed in order to make it look like they have been held back by council.

It's a PR piece announcing the start of the build, written with a LFC flavour. Personally I would suggest just waiting for the earth to move, which it should soon, but more importantly I would wait to see what happens after the 60M runs out.

I suspect DIC will own us by Sept/Oct.
Old 24-06-08, 01:05 PM   #13
redstaralex
Fagan

yeah, that's what I thought, am wondering if Hicks wants to get the project started asap so that hks pretty much have to be involved in building the new stadium thereby making himself a nice bonus thereby forcing DIC to take that design (and I would guess pissing them off), assuming DIC are buying us of course
Old 24-06-08, 01:27 PM   #14
Skillz

Quote:
yeah, that's what I thought, am wondering if Hicks wants to get the project started asap so that hks pretty much have to be involved in building the new stadium thereby making himself a nice bonus thereby forcing DIC to take that design (and I would guess pissing them off), assuming DIC are buying us of course
Well i am only guessing but my best guess which is purely speculation is that the deal to sell to DIC was arranged about the time all the shit from both sides in the press stopped. If I am correct I would hazard a guess that part of the deal to get Hicks across the line was that "his" stadium gets built.

Once we are committed it will mean DIC are committed so no fault of theirs, hence why Sept/Oct was my prediction for the sale to go through. Also explains why Rafa has been smiling so much when he hasn't got enough money, IMO.
Old 24-06-08, 01:31 PM   #15
ronanm
Shankly

DIC could be happy with the existing design given that the only thing the wanted to change were the Burger Vans - it turns our these are going to continue be mobile units, with the exisiting models simply requiring a new paint job saying "Burka Vans"
ronanm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-08, 01:34 PM   #16
ashey
Benitez

When Hicks quoted 1b valuation of the club to DIC, he included the value of the new stadium. DIC wouldn't match his valuation 'cause the stadium only existed on paper. Hicks has been desperate to get work under way to force the price up. I reckon he'll be open to offers negotiations from DIC once the builders are on site.
ashey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-08, 01:35 PM   #17
Angryred
Dalglish

Quote:
Yeah, more or less to get the electrical cables, sanitary pipes, drainage etc in place before the piling & sub-structure can commence.
Angryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-08, 01:42 PM   #18
wishiwasascouser
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashey View Post
When Hicks quoted 1b valuation of the club to DIC, he included the value of the new stadium. DIC wouldn't match his valuation 'cause the stadium only existed on paper. Hicks has been desperate to get work under way to force the price up. I reckon he'll be open to offers negotiations from DIC once the builders are on site.
That would be an ideal situation, we get a great stadium and rid of the Americans.However DIC would of had plans for their own stadium design,they were in contact with hotel chains about it (A hotel attached to the Kop,anyone?!) Once the structure starts to take shape we will see if DIC want us for the money, or the bragging rights.
Old 24-06-08, 02:57 PM   #19
Morph
Spin doctor

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasascouser View Post
I agree with this, I think once the stadium work starts proper you won't see DIC for dust. The stadium is one thing the Americans have got right , also they must be extremely confident of securing the rest of the money for the stadium.
Don't think DIC will care one way or the other, I seem to remember a quote that said they would have started the Parrybowl design immediately if they'd got control of the clubs instead of the yanks at first ask, and that was a shite design that as the yanks have said was nearly something like 10yrs old.

At the end of the day if DIC see the stadium as practical and affordable, which it probably is given the refinements made to it in the last design update, then they'll be happy just to get bums on seats and get the revenue coming in.

Also there's the added bonus to them if anything goes tits up of being able to say that it was the yanks fault. I think once the works have started, even if it's just laying the foundations, which is what this sounds like to me, then we're going to see DIC back in the frame cos the yanks won't be able to fund it and a lot of the harder planning work will have already been done for DIC, thus probably pushing the profit to the yanks up a bit more
Old 24-06-08, 03:28 PM   #20
dww
humourless curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhav View Post
Interesting that GIllett is now extolling the virtues of a design that reportedly no one at the club wanted but Hicks. It seems like these two are now singing from the same hymn sheet, which for those of us who want them gone does not seem like overly good news.
I don't see how it can be a bad thing for the club though. Whether someone is happy for them to stay or wants them out the only way anything at all positive is going to happen (including any potential sale to DIC in all likelihood) is if they are cooperating.
Advertisement.
Don't Like Adverts? (Register or Donate)
Liver Bird
Old 24-06-08, 04:20 PM   #21
Dhav
Telamonian Ajax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dww View Post
I don't see how it can be a bad thing for the club though. Whether someone is happy for them to stay or wants them out the only way anything at all positive is going to happen (including any potential sale to DIC in all likelihood) is if they are cooperating.
Possibly. Well I'm no corporate governance expert, but I would have thought that if they are co-operating, it is increases the likelihood of them staying, as they'll need to work together to make any significant decisions and there will be an avoidance of a stalemate situation. On the other hand ordinarily there would be no need to co-operate on a sale if one wants to sell while the other doesn't., except in these particular circumstances, because let's face it, we're Liverpool and we fuck everything up.

Purslow = C*nt
Old 24-06-08, 05:00 PM   #22
VladisVictoryRoar
Souness

A start to the new stadium - if its for real can only be good news.
Whether or not it affects the two yanks staying or going I neither know nor care, I have no reason to think that DIC will be better than them or worse either.

- Marcus Aurelius
VladisVictoryRoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-08, 05:39 PM   #23
wavydavy
Dalglish

I kick a ball around the park with my lad most weekends and it's been pretty obvious for about 4 or 5 weeks something's been goin' on. This is no false dawn. I noticed some big fuck of cables getting laid on Priory Rd this morning. Being in the Elactrical business myself theyr'e not to power a cocky's hut that's for sure. It's goin' up lads!!
Old 24-06-08, 05:53 PM   #24
wishiwasascouser
Benitez

I hope the area will be well secured, we don't want Everton or Manc scarves in the foundations.
Old 24-06-08, 05:58 PM   #25
wavydavy
Dalglish

Quote:
I hope the area will be well secured, we don't want Everton or Manc scarves in the foundations.

I wouldn't mind a few actual mancs or blues in the foundations..
Old 24-06-08, 06:19 PM   #26
wishiwasascouser
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavydavy View Post
I wouldn't mind a few actual mancs or blues in the foundations..
Old 24-06-08, 06:21 PM   #27
Johnny
Hodgsoned

Quote:
I agree with this, I think once the stadium work starts proper you won't see DIC for dust The stadium is one thing the Americans have got right ., also they must be extremely confident of securing the rest of the money for the stadium.
That doesn`t make sense.DIC could just buy the holding company and continue the works.
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-08, 06:24 PM   #28
VladisVictoryRoar
Souness

Quote:

Inevitably there will be or at least someone will claim to have put them there... beneath us as usual.

- Marcus Aurelius
VladisVictoryRoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-08, 06:51 PM   #29
wishiwasascouser
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
That doesn`t make sense.DIC could just buy the holding company and continue the works.
The point I was trying to make is that DIC would have their own plans for their own stadium.Of course they could do what you suggest here, as I said earlier that would be an ideal situation, but in my opinion the news today means the takeover from DIC is as far away as ever, with Gillett and Hicks now seemingly singing from the same sheet.Although I hope to be proven wrong on the DIC takeover , obviously.
Old 24-06-08, 11:39 PM   #30
redheart
Hodgsoned

FFS will you people just let it go with DIC. We are stuck with the Yanks.

Every single fact is stretched well beyond breaking point just to allow you to delude yourselves.

GIVE IT UP!
redheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-08, 11:48 PM   #31
wishiwasascouser
Benitez

Really poor render , is that new or a screen grab from the video presentation? Also on the official site they seem to be using three different versions of stadium design! surely it can't be that hard to be consistent.
Old 25-06-08, 12:34 AM   #32
Johnny
Hodgsoned

Quote:
The point I was trying to make is that DIC would have their own plans for their own stadium.Of course they could do what you suggest here, as I said earlier that would be an ideal situation, but in my opinion the news today means the takeover from DIC is as far away as ever, with Gillett and Hicks now seemingly singing from the same sheet.Although I hope to be proven wrong on the DIC takeover , obviously.
i don`t see why DIC would want to change the stadium plans at huge cost when the one we`re starting now seems really good.I think DIC wouldn`t make a huge improvement on the current plan.
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-08, 03:13 AM   #33
stuartb
Evans

I understand that theres a lot of infrastructure to be added to support this stadium but im curious to see when the physical site in the park gets some work on it. For example, when do they start digging up the area, marking out foundations etc. Once that gets underway Ill feel that its really started - and perhaps then start to get a little excited.

Until then it still seems so far away and without meaning to sound pessimistic, until it really gets underway, lots of things could happen on the finance side to delay the real work
stuartb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-08, 09:02 AM   #34
Skillz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartb View Post
I understand that theres a lot of infrastructure to be added to support this stadium but im curious to see when the physical site in the park gets some work on it. For example, when do they start digging up the area, marking out foundations etc. Once that gets underway Ill feel that its really started - and perhaps then start to get a little excited.

Until then it still seems so far away and without meaning to sound pessimistic, until it really gets underway, lots of things could happen on the finance side to delay the real work
I would suspect there will be a short set up time, markings will have been done or be done soon and digging will start after that.
Old 25-06-08, 10:29 AM   #35
dom9
Ant Pisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavydavy View Post
I kick a ball around the park with my lad most weekends and it's been pretty obvious for about 4 or 5 weeks something's been goin' on. This is no false dawn. I noticed some big fuck of cables getting laid on Priory Rd this morning. Being in the Elactrical business myself theyr'e not to power a cocky's hut that's for sure. It's goin' up lads!!

Being in the Elactrical business, I thought you might be able to spell electrical.

Actually I can't talk. I recently spelt the word 'discounted' as 'disocunted' in a client specification.
Old 27-06-08, 12:36 PM   #36
livvy145
Resident Scouser & smiley lover

First sign of building work on new stadium, includes Carra talking about new signings and stadium.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...ctid1632758697
Old 27-06-08, 12:48 PM   #37
wishiwasascouser
Benitez

Quote:
Originally Posted by livvy145 View Post
First sign of building work on new stadium, includes Carra talking about new signings and stadium.

Thanks for that .
Old 27-06-08, 01:48 PM   #38
redstaralex
Fagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angryred View Post
Yeah, more or less to get the electrical cables, sanitary pipes, drainage etc in place before the piling & sub-structure can commence.
so if DIC are still interested and have their own design this doesn't make any difference at all to what they want? it's only when the sub structure / foundations have been laid that it'll really matter
Old 27-06-08, 05:25 PM   #39
RedSince1964
Fagan

Quote:

Cheers for the link mate
RedSince1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-08, 07:56 PM   #40
wavydavy
Dalglish

Quote:

That clip is the construction of the new "Serpentine" path at the top of the park. Totally misleading as it's got absolutely nothing to do with the stadium. Nothing doing at all regarding the stadium.

Last edited by wavydavy; 27-06-08 at 09:18 PM.
wavydavy is offline   Reply With Quote

est1892 > Football > Liverpool FC